Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80, need help again!!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80, need help again!!

Hi guy's,
Thanks for all your help in the past!!!
I have had a lot of things happen in the past year and am just now installing the motor Mr. JM rebuilt for me last year and I went to !!

I bought this unit with the jug, head and piston missing and mostly taken apart, its a 1992 LT80.
My goal was to have it running by the time the grand kids came over this Friday, but that isn't looking good.

A few questions-
1. I just noticed(now that the motor is back in the frame and I went to put oil in it) the plug you remove to check the oil level is broke off in the case. Do I dare drill into it and try an easy out? Do I run it as is and just fill to the recomended level (2.7 oz, can that be right???) Is this the only place that gets motor oil, back by the drive chain to the rear axle? Is it like my snow blower and all of the lubing of bearings, piston and such and from the oil in the gas? I am worried about getting shavings in the case if I try the ez out route, maybe try not to drill thru all of the way? It is below the case level so I don't think I want to try and use a ***** punch to turn it out, I am assuming it is a right handed thread???
2. Where is a good place to buy parts? I am good with buying from someone that supports this site! The more I start putting it back together the more parts I realize I am missing, lol!!!
3. Anybody have any luck gluing the plastic body pieces back together? Being the kids first quad looks are not important, YET.
4. I am going to run premix, mixture ratio for a stock engine? For start up?? Is there an oil pump delete kit or do you just make something to cover the hole?
5. When looking on like it has different model numbers like H/J/K/L/M/ etc, how do I know what model I have?

Thanks in advance, you guys have been awesome in the past!!!!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

1) You can drill/tap the hole. The gearbox's are pretty tough. I can't see a chip or 2 doing anything. Or you can just stick fluid in it. More is ok. I used to fill them up. You can try a ***** punch, the hole only weeps the oil out. Yes, it's the only place to add gear oil. Yes, it's right handed thread.
2) Parts, I only use Suzuki parts. For other things, ebay I guess.
3) We usually drilled and zip tied them together. If you drill a holes at the end of the crack, it'll stop the crack from getting worse.
4) mix at 32:1 with a good synthetic oil. to delete the auto lube, I remove the lil black plastic piece on the end of the crankshaft so the pump doesn't turn. I leaver the pump on and stick a toothpick in the oil line to the carb. Or you can cap it. I may have left the drive piece off. If we talked about it, I would have not installed it.
5) the 87/88 models had a cpl differences, but h/j//k/etc are all the same.
Is this Bill?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Jack,

Yes it is!!

What I meant by where to buy parts is if there are any vendors you guys suggest (on line of course, otherwise I am going to swing up by my local Honda shop and see if they can get what I need. I would like to support vendors that support this site). I plan on only buying OM parts for it.

Does 2.7 oz in the gear box sound correct? I would have thought something along the lines of 2.7 quarts, not oz???

Thanks, Bill

Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Bill, I don't know what parts you may want so it's hard to recommend.
2.7 is correct. Like I mentioned, putting more in won't hurt.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just picked up lt80, been sitting 2 year, old carb and pet coco junk so replaced them. How do Itest oil unit or just eliminate it?

Old 02-11-2020, 02:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Empty the fuel tank. Put a small quantity of 32 to 1 premix in the tank, start engine and run a couple of min, remove oil line from carb with engine running, and see if oil dribbles out of end of oil line, if it does, the pump is working. Refit line and fill up with neat fuel. In general, you can usually tell by the smell and colour of the exhaust gasses, but I often use the test if we buy in a two stroke, even the previous owner has often forgotten if they used premix or not, if they outgrew a Quad and then left it in the shed for a couple of years.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

The oil fill bolt is on top of the gear box it only calls for 80ml of oil I wouldn't worry about the weap bolt if you do want to drill it out take fill bolt on top out then take drain plug out and hold shop vac to the drain hole the vac will suck out the few shavings out the rinse it out with new oil reinstall drain plug fill 80 ml of oil out fill bolt back in top of gear box then put your new weap bolt in and let it rip