CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New to ATV's - Thinking a 450 Max

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ATV's - Thinking a 450 Max

Hey there. I've decided to sell my WR250R Dual Sport bike and get a dedicated off road vehicle. I'm hoping my wife will follow me in this endeavour and so far she seems very keen to.

After spending several hours today, the model that's caught my eye most is the Outlander 450 Max. We have two kids (11 & 8) that I want to be able to safely double so a 2-up was important. I don't need crazy power so I'm drawn to the 450 size. If/when the time comes that my wife would like her own it might make sense to get a larger size for me if I feel I'm lacking power. Having had a pretty tame 250cc dual sport, I think I'll be at home with the 450cc engine on an ATV.

I've read a ton of rave reviews on power steering... What I can't find an answer to is whether it makes a huge difference on a smaller 450 size ate or not. I don't imagine I'll be heading out for hours on end, more like 2-3 each weekend. Is the extra price of PS for a 450 size ATV worth it if I'm not likely to be out riding for long periods?

Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I think the 450 Outlander Max would make a fantastic first ATV for someone that wanted to be able to safely ride two-up. We have the Outlander Max Ltd version of the same ATV, and we really enjoy it. As for power steering, I would think it would benefit the 450 almost as much as the larger engine ATVs. The size and weight of the ATV is going to be what would make power steering necessary, and the size is the same, and weight is close to the same. Test drive both the power steering version and the non power steering version, and get the one you feel best about.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush
Welcome to the forum. I think the 450 Outlander Max would make a fantastic first ATV for someone that wanted to be able to safely ride two-up. We have the Outlander Max Ltd version of the same ATV, and we really enjoy it. As for power steering, I would think it would benefit the 450 almost as much as the larger engine ATVs. The size and weight of the ATV is going to be what would make power steering necessary, and the size is the same, and weight is close to the same. Test drive both the power steering version and the non power steering version, and get the one you feel best about.
Thanks! After reading more and speaking to a friend, I'm pretty much convinced the 450 Outlander Max is the ideal first ATV. Do you see any issues with having either of my children drive this ATV with a parent in the second seat? With a good overview of vehicle operation and safety points hammered home well in advance, of course.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it could be done after a prolonged period with them riding and you driving and teaching them safety and control techniques (perhaps > a year). Then, with you right behind them, ready to grab the controls at a moments notice. And starting out on flat smooth ground with no challenges. I would have done it with my kids. I started my kids out at age 5 with a 50cc Honda dirt bike, then a 65cc KTM dirt bike, then a 90cc Honda ATV, then a Raptor 250, then a YFZ 450. Then my oldest went back to dirt bikes, and by the time he was 19 he was winning the open class at local desert races. I can't stay close to him now. Seriously, the last time we rode together he was driving a 50" wide Wildcat 700 UTV and I was driving a 72" wide Maverick X3 with three times the suspension travel and horsepower, and I couldn't keep up with him. It was a rather tight desert wash though. Kids! They're great. Have fun with the new ATV

Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush
I think it could be done after a prolonged period with them riding and you driving and teaching them safety and control techniques (perhaps > a year). Then, with you right behind them, ready to grab the controls at a moments notice. And starting out on flat smooth ground with no challenges. I would have done it with my kids. I started my kids out at age 5 with a 50cc Honda dirt bike, then a 65cc KTM dirt bike, then a 90cc Honda ATV, then a Raptor 250, then a YFZ 450. Then my oldest went back to dirt bikes, and by the time he was 19 he was winning the open class at local desert races. I can't stay close to him now. Seriously, the last time we rode together he was driving a 50" wide Wildcat 700 UTV and I was driving a 72" wide Maverick X3 with three times the suspension travel and horsepower, and I couldn't keep up with him. It was a rather tight desert wash though. Kids! They're great. Have fun with the new ATV
Well, after talking to my wife in great detail last night, things escalated quick! (in a good way)

We tossed around the idea of starting with one and loading it into the back of my truck and taking it somewhere for family fun, but my worry was that we'd get bored as 2 people would be stuck at the truck while the other 2 went off on a mini rip. The downtime might get to the kids and we not really able to get out and explore this way, plus the fact that if something happened, the other 2 wouldn't know and the 2 on the ATV might need help of some type (injury or mechanical etc).

So... I tossed out the idea of a second ATV as well and getting a trailer to haul them and that seemed like the best way to go. Two 2-Up 450 DPDS Max's.

But then I had a third idea being that there's a Can-Am sale on now and the local dealer had a 2018 1-Up 450 DPS in stock for $1000 off. Why not get a 2019 450 2-Up, a deeper discounted 2018 450 1-Up and get the kids a Can-Am DS70 to learn on and share. The other can ride on the back of the 2-Up. Probably can still get by with the same size trailer and load the 70 in the bed of the truck if no extra room on the trailer.

While I think they could learn to ride the 450's, I don't know how I'd feel about letting them take it solo so the 70 would be a decent size to gain confidence and skills for my "off-the-charts" 8 year old son and average-size soon to be 12 year old girl. Both are fairly cautious by nature and listen to instructions, (for the most part). I like this plan better for a few reasons but also if I want to take a kid out solo when it's convenient, they can ride instead of be doubled on the back of mine.

Thoughts on this plan?

Before I go and take advantage of the Can-Am sale, I thought I'd ask this question too. Are we likely to see a shift from ICE ATV's to Electric ATV's in the near future? I am slightly concerned based on us being on the cusp in the automobile world. I'd hate to buy 3 brand new gas ATV's in 2019 only to find that everyone is releasing Electric ATV's for 2020 and the're the next best thing. I doubt that this is the case from what I can tell from my google searches, but thought it's worth asking regardless.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Your plan seems pretty well thought out. I'd throw a safety course for the family in too. Often they are offered with the purchase of new quads. Worth the time and effort too me for someone just starting out.

There have been electric machines out for years now. Other than guys scooting around campgrounds or looking for a next to silent way of getting into a hunting area, they haven't really taken off.

However, if the likes of Bernie Sanders and AOC keep getting elected we may all end up with Fred Flinstone cars and machines.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Your plan seems pretty well thought out. I'd throw a safety course for the family in too. Often they are offered with the purchase of new quads. Worth the time and effort too me for someone just starting out.

There have been electric machines out for years now. Other than guys scooting around campgrounds or looking for a next to silent way of getting into a hunting area, they haven't really taken off.

However, if the likes of Bernie Sanders and AOC keep getting elected we may all end up with Fred Flinstone cars and machines.
Upon further reflection of electric, I came to the conclusion that there are no charging stations in the wilderness and carrying extra batteries would be considerably more heavy than a tank of gas so not sure that they will take off anytime soon. Not a hunter, so don't need silent. ICE ATV it is!

Will check into a family safety course. I'm pretty geeky with research so will be watching all the how-to ATV vids on youtube I can digest and aiming to impart as much newly learned knowledge onto my wife and kids regardless. A safety course would be a nice addition though.

Awaiting a Dealer Quote on the purchase of these 3 units. Fun times ahead!

Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nothing quite like the anticipation of riding a new machine or machines. Just heard mud season is just about over and one of the systems we ride on here in New England is open now.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I figured I’d update my post. I picked up my kids quad yesterday (switched it up and bought a 2019 Yamaha Grizzly 90), and got to take them out to a pit for their first go on a motorized vehicle. They listened well and impressed me with their attention to detail on my safety expectations.

I had the engine limiter installed but the throttle limiter fully open. It hit the rev limiter at about brisk walking speed. Lasted all of 5 mins with each kid. Popped the engine limiter clip out and even with the throttle limiter fully in, it was about 2.5 times as quick. Perfect for both.

They had a blast with their new quad and really impressed me with their efforts on riding technique for day 1. Everyone was pretty happy and looking forward to getting out there with the other 2 quads. Going to be a ton of fun.