Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

First time replacing oil seal - have questions. :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time replacing oil seal - have questions. :-)

Hi All.

I have a 2003 Kodiak 400 4x4. This spring I noticed an oil leak and found the boot between the middle gear and final gear had oil in it. I'm guessing that means it's either the seal behind the middle gear or the one in front of the final gear (or I guess both is a possibility). Looking at various sources I've managed to get the wheels off, shock disconnected (although not in the pic below), brake cables disconnected, etc. I'm now at a point (see link below) where I need to know if all I need to do is remove the two circled bolts, and if that's it, will the final gear / axle just pull away from the middle gear, or is there something else I need to do first. Once apart, how can I determine if it's the middle gear seal or final gear seal that needs replacing. I haven't drained the oil from the middle gear or final gear yet, but will do so before removing the corresponding seal.

I hope this link works

I've watch a number of videos on seals being removed, with various techniques. One involved drilling a small hole, putting a screw in it, then prying on the screw to get the seal out. Another showed knocking the seal out from the back side. I was hoping to avoid needing to use
the second technique, unless that's the right choice.

Thanks in advance.

Richard