Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

not getting enough starting power

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not getting enough starting power

I have a 125 jeep gokart and i bought a factory charged sealed battery because i have had the worst luck with the small DIY type batteries. Anyhow, the kart has never been up to par, but it provides a few hours of fun at a time. SO i put the new battery in and when i try and crank it it starts to turn over and will fire up for a minute but dies, after a few times of trying to start it seems like the battery is losing power, but i put the meter to it and its still charged (11.4V) so i let is sit for a while and then try and crank it, again it turns over but wont start and then it starts again like the battery does not have enough juice even tho the multi meter says it does. I imagine its a relay or something, but i am kind of new to this. I have changed the starter, but that is about it. Also when i do get it running it will run, but seems to lose power and then it gets power and then loses power, its not reliable, i cant drive it to work everyday, lol. Any ideas?

TIA

Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Those little batteries won't turn the engine over for long before running out of "puff". Hard work makes the acid fizz and the bubbles prevent the acid touching the plates until the bubbles rise and pop. Your main problem seems to be the jeep is bad to start, concentrate on getting it to start instantly, and your battery problem will go away.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

11.4v your battery is dead and needs charging... Look up battery voltage chart... Like said above figure out your hard starting issue first and your battery issue will go away.. you seem to have a choke or fuel delivery issue or the carb has just never been properly set from new. I would keep your battery on a maintainer and im guessing your previous battery issue was not understanding battery and voltage. If your machine does not start within the first 5 seconds of hitting the starter then you have issues with fuel/choke/carb still. My first guess would be choke is not working properly

Old 07-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, i will charge the battery, i had no idea about what is considered a dead battery.