Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 sportsman 500 wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sportsman 500 wiring problem

So I just bought a 2002 sportsman 500 and it runs great. The problem is the main harness that connects to the gauges had been disconnected. Once I connected it the machine starts but once you put it into gear and start to throttle it goes about 6 inches before it dies everytime. I had to disconnect it and again it's fin. I ran the machine all weekend without problems. Any ideas out there would be appreciated!

Old 07-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does it die when you hit the throttle? sounds like the etc might need adjusting. just check it to see if there is 1/8" cable slack at the throttle. also it might have an override issue maybe the reason they unplugged the harness? i'm guessing you don't have awd with the harness unhooked.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stendori
does it die when you hit the throttle? sounds like the etc might need adjusting. just check it to see if there is 1/8" cable slack at the throttle. also it might have an override issue maybe the reason they unplugged the harness? i'm guessing you don't have awd with the harness unhooked.
Thanks for the response! It will idle until I hit the throttle and it pretty much dies immediately. I will check the slack when I have a moment to open it up. I do not have AWD as well as you predicted. I'm not familiar with the ETC system but will check it out. The other strange thing is even with the main harness plugged in I don't have a working speedometer or odometer. I would really like to find out how many miles are on this machine. I am hoping it's just a fuse or something simple.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the etc is what prevents the throttle from being stuck wide open. with the throttle at rest, you should be able to pull on the throttle cable at the hand bars and have 1/8" slack in it. if its too tight it will activate the override system as soon as the throttle is pushed. the awd is ran through the speedo. if that is not working then neither will the awd. people have been know to by pass it to get the awd to work. i'm assuming you are pull starting the bike to get it running since you have no wiring. trying to remember on my 02' I thought there is 2 main circuit breaker in the main harness back by the battery along the frame. just follow it up until you find a back looking pouch area and it should be wrapped up. I don't remember a fuse box on that model but it would be under the front panel if so.