Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Choosing my first Sport Quad

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing my first Sport Quad

Ok I have it down to a KFX400 or a Polaris Predator. I was wondering which I should get and which would be the most relyable. The only reason Im not choosing the z400 is because everyone has said the KFX400 and Z400 are the same machine with different colored plastic. Well I like green better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Now I really like the look of the predator and everything I just dont know how relyable they are since this is the first year they have been made. Ive heard lotsa good things about them though. So which should I choose?

Old 06-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Tough question, I have seen a few problems posted on both the pred. and the z, kfx. I think it's just a matter of your needs. If you're racing and don't want to spend any money for mods as soon as you get your quad, I'd suggest the predator. They have more power and handle good and have more race oriented shocks. If you're going to be on trails more get the kfx, z, or the new Artic Cat (same as the z also, just a different look). They handle great, have a tight turning radius, super easy to use powerful powerband, and a major benefit for trails, a reverse gear. Predators don't have reverse. Now if you have money for some mods, (and I am biased on this opinion) get the kfx, z, or cat for racing. Their under the 450cc limit and with mods can be quite a bit more powerful than a pred. Their also lighter so thats a plus also. Lots and lots of aftermarket performance parts for the kfx and z. Good luck and God bless.

Old 06-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you want to go faster. Predator
If you want reverse. KFX/Z/Arc 400

Right now I think I'd choose the Predator 500 over the K/Z/Arc 400. I don't trust the Suzuki until they correct their problems. I would rather have reverse and I don't care for the plastic around the tank of the Pred (unfinished looking).- I don't like to spend extra to extend warranties. I picture the 6 month warranty being done and then a crack shows up on the Z/K/A. Call me crazy but I think a product should be trouble free after you pay $6000. for it. Companies like Honda offer 6 month warranty here in the US and a 2 year warranty in the UK. Why? Because US residents will pay extra for an extended warranty.

If you are going to buy a quad that MIGHT have trouble. Then buy the faster one. I was looking at both of those machines yesterday. The Pred just looks like it handles better. (Stance, tires, shocks)

Old 06-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know much bout pred, but I love my z400. I've heard about the welds cracking around the suspension, but I cased mine on a doub 2wks ago hard enough to bend my stock bars and nearly break my wrist, but no cracked welds yet, besides lonestar I think makes a gusset kit for them. And based on price, since no one leaves anything stock, by the time you put your mods on the pred to get it to 50+ hp, you could've ordered the 453 big bore kit from CTracing which will put the z at 52hp. or you could just wait for the yfz450 which comes stock with 50+ hp. any way you go you're looking at around 7G's.

Old 06-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Well Im not really lookin to just race alot. I want a good all around playing machine. So something Im not gonna have to worry about putting in the shop every month. Im not really gonna be doing any aftermarket mods cept maybe the minor stuff like a pipe and filter with Jets and the good ol Nerf bars. But thatll be about it. I really just want somethin I can play around with and have fun. Im lookin more twords gettin the Predator though because I really dont ever use reverse even with my sport utility quads and everyone keeps tellin me they ride smooth. Are the Predators easy to wheelie? And do they do really well with jumping?

Old 06-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

The pred should wheelie good, it seems to have really a smooth acceleration curve. Just be careful on dry pavement, my Z is stock with only 28hp, but it pull the front wheels off the ground in almost every gear on asphault even with my 190lb butt leaning over the handle bars. and my buddy's raptor is even touchier. For wheelies and jumps, you might look at a 400ex, since you don't plan to race. The 400ex is probably the most wheelie and jump friendly quad I've ever ridden. I would have bought the 400ex, but I live in the never ending land of trees, rivers, and marshes. I love my reverse!

Old 06-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

From reading the posts here, it looks like your mind is made up! Your signature says that you already have 3 Polaris machines, so you like polaris and chances are you will also buy the polaris predator. I cant really blame you for sticking with one manufacturer - usually parts interchange between them more easily then on different makes. But I cant if say alot of parts will interchange between the utility bikes and the sport bikes.

I have heard mixed reviews about every bike out there. If you wanted just general trail riding, though, I think the KFX/KVX/Zwould do just fine; but it will put an alien in your quad fleet!

Old 06-22-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

hehe ya I like polaris utility quads. I also really like the Yamaha grizzly. But to be honest I never even intended a Predator untill recently. My first overall choice was a yamaha raptor. Then I started reading and found out it wasnt really for me. Its for more drag racing and stuff. Which is fun but to me gets boring after a while. I like to do a little of everything. And since Ive never owned or even ridden a sportquad I figured I dont wanna focus in on just 1 thing right now. Im pretty sure Ima get the predator though because I can get it for 99$ a month which isnt to bad. But I am gonna go ahead and go look and see what deals I can get with a 400ex because alot of people told me they were wheelie and jump friendly which I like. And Ive seen the 400ex in action on wheelies and they seem to be pretty forgiving. Thanx for all the help everyone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with twentycharacters, if you are already in love with polaris then it might be weird having something different. The predator does have a lot of power but it is the absolute worst sport quad there is for wheelies. I mean you can do them but it's really hard and hard to keep it the front end up very long. They have a heavier front end on purpose to help out with holeshots, to make them not wheelie so bad. I have heard they are good jumpers. I find it unusual you haven't used reverse much maybe you don't get in real tight trails. Now of course if you're like me with a sport utility you'll just plow over most stuff like logs or big rocks or pushing live smallish trees over with your quad. If this is the reason you don't use reverse a lot make no mistake you ain't going to be running over some of this stuff with a predator or a z400 or any sport quad. Unless you want to damage your plastic or something. Maybe you ride good well worn wide trails then I don't guess reverse is much of a factor. I don't think you can go wrong with the pred.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Range Rover

The reason the predator doesn't like to wheelie isnt so much a heavy front end, as it is a
long swing arm and anti-squat suspension. No wheelie=more power to the ground!

Quick Reply: Choosing my first Sport Quad