Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

New Honda 450

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda 450

Does anyone have any info on this bike? Mainly does it have reverse? We're looking to replace the 300ex with something newer and hotter(anyone looking for a bike for your wife or daughter this 300 is perfect). Does it go pretty good? Are there any reviews of it in a magazine? We're getting one because it's time for something new and also my dad got a taste of the power of a 660 grizzly and realized how much faster newer bikes really are. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

It may not be what your looking for. It has a kick starter, no reverse, and a "hot start button". I can't believe that Honda would put the hot start junk on there if it wasn't needed, which means it may be tough to kick it over when it's hot. Some MX bike racers install hot start buttons (richens the fuel mixture for starting) on their bikes needed or not so who knows how it's going to be.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Honda 450

Wow,

I didn't realize that honda produced such a sad excuse of a quad. Really I don't mind no reverse, it's that my father is looking for that because he is 50 and well, enjoys the finer things in life sorta speak. The kicker really does **** me off though. I ride a CR125 at the moment and that's the one killer about that thing when I ride with quads. I'm left kicking over and over again and our friends on their quads already fired up and are about 500FT out in front of me. That was the whole point of getting a new quad. Maybe Honda will wake up for 2005 and put an electric starter on there. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

The TRX450R is a purpose built machine. Its purpose is racing. When racing how often do you use reverse?
The kick starter was put on to save weight, personally I'm glad they put it on. The hot start button is another racing feature.
It is used when the bike is stalled, push the button in and kick it and it will start instantly. I think Honda was right on the money with this bike and if I had the dough I'd be first in line to get one![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Honda 450

Don't get me wrong, I am a honda nut and I'm positive this is the best performing machine in its class. However, there's something called practicallity which is necessary for sales. This bike is not practical for everyone and the reality is that you're better off with an electric start in a race over a kicker any day. It's quicker and easier on the rider. I don't know how much competition experience you have but I've competed with both a kick start and an electric and I'd take an electric any day. I guess once this thing gets going I'd be fine. It has a 3.2 gallon gas tank, the biggest in it's class I believe, so I doubt it will ever run dry which is a very reasuring thought for me.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

if your complaining about a kick start on a 125 dirtbike maybe your into the wrong sport...

Old 12-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

I have owned and raced kick and electric start bikes and I like them both. However i think hondas main purpose was to save weight.
A battery and starter motor weighs more than most people think. If people buy this quad I assume they want a high performance machine, the kick start will only make it faster. If people want an electric start Honda sport quad there are plenty of 400ex's for sale.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Honda 450

Originally posted by: juggalo
if your complaining about a kick start on a 125 dirtbike maybe your into the wrong sport...
Don't worry I'm no priss. I can kick a CR500 no problem and I weigh in at about 140lbs at 6ft 1". That's a lot of bike for someone like me regardless of my height but I hang in with everyone. My complaint is that they hit a button and my CR will be bitchy once an a while and their long gone and I'm left all alone. Last time I just said screw it and left my bike running despite the good odds of me running out of gas. I get ahead and stay well ahead, they haven't got a prayer in anything other than straights and the super slippery sand. Thanks again everyone for your input. I think I might just go get a CR500 or ask the kid that bought my dad's Dave Huffman Built RM 250(check the 2000 Factory Effex Catalog for pics) what he wants for the bike back. Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

or buy a 450R and get a started installed not that hard is it?

Old 12-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Honda 450

If you want electric start and reverse this isn't the class you should be looking at. Try a Suzuki Z400 a great all around bike, or even a Raptor. This class machine doesn't have what you are looking for.

Quick Reply: New Honda 450