Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

What type of throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of throttle?

Did a race yesterday. About sixty quads in the field. Only about 15 of those serious racers the rest just go along for the ride. The race was about 100 km with wood sections, sandy sections, normal dirt road etc. Afterwards several ppl were complaining about sore thumbs. Since none of my friends serious racers and nobody knows anyone with a twist throttle on his quad, I was wondering what advantages and disadvantages a twist throttle would have. Planning to do a desert run that is about 2500km and not sure that my thumb will be up to it?

Old 02-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of throttle?

Well I have a thumb throttle on my scrammy but here is my opinion... for manual quads I think its easier to shift with a twist throttle..maybe just because I have dirtbikes and I'm use to shifting and giving gas with a twist....sometimes when you have a thumb throttle and you ride all day your thumb will start to cramp and it gets oncumfortable..But I've ridden all day with mine and it doesn't really bother me....One disadvantage of the twist throttle I think....well I've seen it were guys will be climbing a hill and they will loose control and start to fall off the back..and as they are still holding the handles they will twist the throttle back wich just opens it up and I've seen because of that they have had some bad accidents because of the twist were you wouldn't have to worry about it with a thumb...I guess it all depends on your preference...how long you plan on riding...and what kind of riding you do....I know I'm going to stick with the thumb throttle just because that suits me.