Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

is it possible to have gas in the oil on a 4-stroke??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to have gas in the oil on a 4-stroke??

i was draining my oil a little(too full) but i was wondering if its possible to have gas in my oil (dvx400) got some on my hands, sure doesnt smell like the oil in the bottle...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Yes;There are trace amounts of fuel that get by the rings and into the oil.It happens on automobiles also (new or old).This is another reason why it's important to change the oil regularly;contamination from fuel is one of the leading causes of oil breakdown.............

Old 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

ok, i changed the oil right before i had back surgery,(one month ago yesterday) i have just been starting it and letting it run everyday since then... should i change the oil before i take it out riding???

Old 12-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Another, more comon way for gas to get into the crankcase, is that the float needle and seat are stickng open, and allowing gas to overflow while sitting there, and its goes down the intake, and thru the open valve, and washes down the cylinder, and past the rings to the crankcase.
Whenever the motor isnt running, the gas tank valve needs to be off.
if this stops the gas in the oil, then fix the needle and seat.
You need to keep an eye on this, because if you just let it keep happening, the motor will get trashed in no time. The rings need to be lubricated in the bore, and the gas is stripping the oil off.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13inc and hondabuster both have good answers for you.

Another thing to watch on the Z/KXF/DVX 400's is to make sure the pet ****(stupid design by suzuki!) is in the on position especially when transporting. When it is turned towards reserve or pri (PRIME) the fuel is gravity fed, witch in turn fuels can force it's way to the oil when it is not running. But the on is vacuum fed, so for the most part fuel will not get to the engine without it running.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

my owners manual says that the carb has an automatic shut off on it? when i turn the key on- it comes on.. when i turn the key off-it turns off...? cause when i look at the "Pet ****" it has; Prime, Reserve, and ON..... so there isnt a way to turn it off..... and when i say the oil smells like gas...it REALLY smells like gas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The petcock is VACUME activated. The ON position is the one you want to be in. It is actually OFF, when the motor isn't running.

Just wondering why you start it EVERY DAY??? Maybe once a week, but every day???

Old 12-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Powercat400
my owners manual says that the carb has an automatic shut off on it? when i turn the key on- it comes on.. when i turn the key off-it turns off...? cause when i look at the "Pet ****" it has; Prime, Reserve, and ON..... so there isnt a way to turn it off..... and when i say the oil smells like gas...it REALLY smells like gas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Check the tube , under the float bowl, because it is probably plugged, and isnt giving the overflowing gas, a safe place to dump. Instead of harmllessly going on the ground, its going down the walls of the cylinder.
A quick fix, to keep any more damage from happening, is to clamp off the gas line, when the motor isnt running.
At the minimum, change the oil, and maybe ease up on all the cold starts. Unless a motor is under a load, and free reving in nuetral isnt a load, its not gonna produce enough heat, to burn off the byproducts in the oil. They just keep adding up, and this may be what youre smelling.
The valve is vacumn operated...its not supposed to let gas flow until a vacumn, from the running motor, is present, but like all mechanical things, it could be defective, or dirty.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

Yes recon ranger, i start it everyday, i have the "riding blues'" i just gotta hear it running lol

hondabuster, thanks for your info... but when you say "the line under the float bowl" do you mean the float bowl drain tube??? I dont see any more tubes at the bottom of the float bowl besides that one

Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, thats the one. If it is plugged, then gas cant come out the overflow and ends up going down the cylinder.

Quick Reply: is it possible to have gas in the oil on a 4-stroke??