Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

'05 Polaris Predator

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Polaris Predator

It may not be a Yamaha, but...

Well, me and my dad just got back from the dealer today and we were looking at the 05 Predators. I am going to be buying a new one as soon as I get my new job and I will make payments on it. Anyways, Im not sure what kind I want, the regular one or the TLD. I like the red color better but I like the front shocks better on the TLD one.

I will be doing some trail riding, some MX racing, hill climbs, etc.

Anyways, Ive heard that the close ratio tranny in the TLD isnt good. I heard it tops out each gear to fast, I dont know if this is true or not.

But anyways, I was talking to the dealer and they said they put the TLD front shocks on the regular one if I wanted for an extra $100.

I dont know which one I want though. Im thinking the regular one with the TLD front shocks. I dont know for sure though.

I will probably just buy the TLD Predator if the stuff Ive heard about the transmission isnt true. It will probably accelerate faster for MX. Also, how fast is a stock TLD Predator and a regular Predator? I imagine the close ratio tranny will take away some on top speed.

I would like some opinions on the TLD Predator and the regular Predator.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

1st and 5th gear are the same on both of them. Only 2nd-4th are close ratio on the TLD. Therefore their top speeds should be the same. Dont believe everything you read in the magazines. Go by what the people that actually own these machines feel, and if possible, ride both. Try a search on the 05 TLD in the Polaris forum. There has been some good info on it lately now that the dealers have been getting them in. Also, keep in mind that the TLD has radial tires as well as the other upgrades.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright then. Here is what I want from the '05 TLD Predator owners or anybody that has rode one and got it into 5th.

Anyways, is it true about them what the magazine says of how there is a big difference in gear ratio from 4th to 5th and when you shift up to 5th it kind of bogs down the engine and then once it reaches higher RPMs its fine. They also said it is very hard to get it into 5th due to the gears. I just read ATV Addiction and they said the TLD Predators arent geared right for the motor. Is this all true or not?

Keep in mind, I want these opinions from '05 TLD Predator owners or anybody that has rode one and got it into 5th gear only!

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:11 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Go and do a search in the Polaris forum, they have talked about this alot, probly more there then Pred owners. I think they are 3 or 4 with the TLD.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

if you let it eat, and get up to its sweet spot in rpms, you'll not notice anything of a "bog" If you are putting around, and just shifting up and down cause you feel like it, 4-5 you'll notice theres a difference. You have to think about how much you shift from 4-5 when you're riding, cause if you're racing @ 55+ then yea, you'll probably wish you had a standard. Drag race, you'll do fine w/ the TLD. Rev limiter is higher on the TLD as I've heard, that'll make some difference, as the '03 started popping really easy in high rpms, new one doesn't. Neighbor has a brand new bone stock yfz, and I can't pass him yet, but I am super rich, and hadn't had time to adjust. Can't wait for him to get back from Florida so we can go again.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

question is ..just how much do you plan on using 5th gear when you have it properly modded?

Our pine trees on our trails tend to get in the way of needing 5th gear.

Dont believe the hype (myth) about the HUGE gap between 4th and 5th..the DOHC makes up for it.