Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Looking for sport quad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for sport quad...

I posted more details in "Buying ATV" section, but I'm looking a get a bigger sport quad than my '01 Warrior. It's a great quad, and I've had good luck with Yamaha, but I know each quad, no matter what make, have their pro's and con's. I was thinking a 400EX after riding my uncles for like a week straight, but the lack of reverse (I'm not looking to buy new...) and being air-cooled changed my mind. I do mostly trailing, but beat the quad pretty hard. I ride fast, competitively and jump anything I'm able to. The choices I've narrowed it down to are Predator 500, Raptor 660R, LT-Z400, KFX400 or DVX400. I first wanted only a Predator or Raptor, but someone who ones a modded Raptor told me he likes racing his Warrior more because it's are to keep the Raptor's front end down, and he can whip the Warrior around corners better (it's modded also I believe). I rode a Predator and liked it very much (Troy Lee), but was easy on it because it was a friend's. However, I was told they don't hold up too well. Lately I've been thinking the DVX because of the great prices you can get them at, and, they're basically the same as the Kawasaki and Suzuki, right? Like I said... I need some help! I'd just like some un-biased, experienced help please. I'm also looking only to spend about $4k for a good used one, so that's why I ruled out the 450's.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

get the raptor, the last quad you have to buy. There a good price too. Big CC so Mods Really wake the sleeper up, and get an exteended axle or rear wheel spacers and it becomes really stable and more "tame".

Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

That's exactly what I told the guy who owned the modded Raptor. Just from looking at a side view of the Raptor, it seems an extended swing arm would easily fix the front end problem. I still love just about everything the Raptor offers, but I KNOW I like the Predator, I've just had no hands'on experience with a Raptor. And I'm also starting to think I'll want bigger if I get a 400 as well. Oh, and I'm also 6'2, so I know I'd have so "fitment" problems with either the Raptor or Predator. Any other opinions? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

the dvx is the same as the Z400/KFX400. the only difference is the plastics. the predator and the raptor are good bikes. I prefer the Z400
they're easy to ride and easy to mod.and its the only one I felt comfortable sitting on. Ive raced both and have won and been beaten by them.
raptors have lots of power and the people I ride with tell me its hard to keep the front end down. never rode a predator but ive heard they're
a little heavier than the other two and doesnt hold up as well. the 400 ex is a great all around quad. very dependable, my buddy has one and
has never have a problem with it and its 3 years old if you looking for speed (all stock) I think the raptor is faster then the rest.
I would look around at some of the bike dealers in your area and I bet you could get a 04 for around $4500 OTD that somebody has
traded in for a 05 model . hope this helps

Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Basically... I'd like to get a four wheeler that can remain basically stock and handle what I'll do with it. I'm sure any quad will give me some problems after a while, but reliability is probably more important that JUST performance. I know that Raptor will probably give me the most speed stock, how would the handling be stock? And reliability? I like the Predators still, but I've heard so many bad things about their reliability, any truth? And the Z400 and it's twins, what are their performance and handling compared to the 400EX? Just trying to get the best idea of them all before I make a decision. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

raptor...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the raptor because if your going to be trail riding a lot the raptor is great at that, also it can handle any jump you put in front of it. It's fast and looks great, and you can make it really nice with simple upgrades. You should be able to find one for $4000 no problem and they are a fun, fast and nice all around performance quad.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

I also had a warrrior and i upgraded to a raptor. I was happy with the choice i made. I was also looking to upgrade to around a 400. When i rode some of my friends 400s i didnt realy see that much of a difference in the power. So i diceded to go bigger and went with the raptor. I havnt had a problem with it yet.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

get the raptor, its very powerfull and easy to ride in stock fourm.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, so far... it seems the Raptor would be the best choice for me huh? Ha, thanks a lot guys. Yeah, I definitely need a good trailer, that's why I limited it to four strokes, and I'm glad to hear the Raptor performs well. I liked the 400EX in the trails too, but if I'm getting rid of the Warrior, I think I want a bit more of an upgrade. If anyone else has any input on any of the choices, feel free to leave suggestions. Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Looking for sport quad...