ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Sport Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/)
-   -   Z400 vs 450R vs Pred vs Raptor (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/191296-z400-vs-450r-vs-pred-vs-raptor.html)

blindside350 02-11-2005 11:26 PM

Z400 vs 450R vs Pred vs Raptor

Ok i'm not going to ask which is better at what or anything i just want you opinion on what we should do.

Ok we stopped by our local Honda dealer and checked out the 450R, Pred, Z400 (we've already checked out the rap) But here is the big arguement. We are very interested in the z400 and 450R. On the plus side...the Z400 has reverse and we can get it for 5k OTD but the 450R has more power. We already have a YFZ450 and heres my arguement why have the extra power for the 450R?? I mean both are fantastic! WE would mostly be riding dunes with some trails i say 3/4 dunes. What should we do? Oh yea we havn't completely settled on the 450R or Z400 we are also looking at the rap or pred... so our options are open.

Iridethehills 02-12-2005 12:56 AM

the kfx does, but the dvx doesnt, im not sure why the dvx didnt get the upgrades

86LT250RFatty 02-12-2005 10:26 AM

The DVX and KFX didnt get any of the upgrades the Suzuki did. If the Suzuki is an 05, i say go for it! if not, take a look at the raptor, since you allready have a racing quad ( YFZ ) , why not go for the raptor? Smooth power, one of the best duners out their, with the biggest department for upgrades. if your going to be doing trails and dunes, i deffinatly say go for the raptor!!

RAJ 02-12-2005 10:49 AM

I say go for the Predator...........................WHY?.......Beca use everyone on is going to pick what they own. I say you need to go out and test ride them all, and you make up your mind.

reconranger 02-12-2005 11:39 AM

We pick what we own, because we know these machines intimately! I don't know of any dealer that lets you "test ride" any machine (I think this is a liability issue). If you don't have a buddy who owns one, how you going to get a test ride a bike??? (An isn't your buddy who owns one going to recommend it, just because he owns one???) Trust the opinions of folks who have put hundreds of hard a$$ miles on their mahine!

I own both these bikes. I choose the Z for trail riding, and the 450R for open country. The R loves to rev (just like your YFZ, so you know what I mean), and there is no way this motor likes to be lugged down. So, it likes to run out in open country. Sounds like that's your application, so I think it is a good choice.

The Z is no doubt the best all-around machine there is. If you did a lot of trail riding, it would be my pick, but that doesn't sound like your application.

blindside350 02-12-2005 12:57 PM

But also when we dune ride we just don't ride open and all out... We hit some trails alot too, some real open trails to tight...we like it varied. But i guess whatever we could do on the YFZ we could do on the 450R

reconranger 02-12-2005 01:53 PM

The 450R has great trail bike HANDLING! It just doesn't have a POWERBAND that is well suited for slower riding. If you want to ride really tight trails, you are going to have to work the clutch like you would have to on a 2-stroke. Open desert and fast more open trails are where this machine will be at its best!

blindside350 02-12-2005 02:06 PM

Hey i grew up on two strokes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and i drive a yfz so i'm used to shifting alot. I hate to be comparing everything to the YFZ but its really the only high performance 4 i've ridden enough... but it [the 450R] is probably like the YFZ it loves to do open, but the problem is we're not going to leave any of our bikes stock for long i know the z400 has alot of parts but does the R?

Hossblur 02-12-2005 02:21 PM

The better builders around (DAB here in Utah) can make the z faster than either the yfz or r for about 2k, so do the math, 7k for the r and yfz, then add intake, pipe, jet kit and your in nearly 8k. Or you can go z for 5.5k add 2k and your faster, and cheaper. I ride a raptor, I love, but I dune 90% of the time. I i rode like you say you do I think I would go z. I like the pred, but upgrades are few and far between

Iridethehills 02-12-2005 06:45 PM

the kfx did get the same upgrades as the z <u>LOOK AT THE WEB SITE!</u> the kfx is the exact same bike as the z other than the color of the plastics.
it got the same up grades, carb, shocks, camshafts, the 05' kfx and the 05' z400 are the same bikes.
the 05' dvx 400 did not get the upgrades of the 05' kfx\z

sorry for being rude but i dont like getting corrected by some one who doesnt know what there talking about