ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Sport Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/)
-   -   New member, looking to get my feet dirty (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/219899-new-member-looking-get-my-feet-dirty.html)

OllieP 10-18-2005 06:56 AM

New member, looking to get my feet dirty

Wanted to introduce myself, and get to know some of the members here. My name is Oliver, but as my username suggests, everyone calls me Ollie. My location is Baltimore, MD, but am hoping to move just past the border of PA (I believe it is legal to ride there). I'm looking to get a used sport quad, most likely a '95 warrior I have my eyes on due to price. However, I am open to suggestions. I'd prefer a 4 stroke, but what are some 2 strokes that can offer similar performance as the a warrior? Feel free to comment on anything else, such as down points of a warrior, or year.

Scooter86 10-18-2005 09:38 AM

The Warrior has been a tank of an atv that has been basically inchanged since it was introduced in '86 as an '87 model. They aren't the easiest to do routine maintainance on, but not horrible either. The Blaster can be built up and be as fast as a Warrior, but the frame is smaller and may be cramped if you are a 'full size' adult. Any of the 250 racers will be significantly faster and handle better, but they are aimed more at racing and the Warrior is aimed more towards trail riding. Another quad in this class worth looking at is the 300ex, not as much power but a little better handling. There are a ton of each out there on the used market. Sometimes you can find a good deal on the 400's also. Good luck in your search! OH yeah, PA is fairly atv friendly, much more so than NY at least.

reconranger 10-18-2005 10:11 AM

Welcome! First off, I rode a Warrior for years. Back in the day it was OK, but by todays standards it falls way, way short. I would look for something like a Honda 400EX instead. It is a rock solid machine, but pre 05 it doesn't have reverse. Locally, one can get a new 04 for $4,000 out the door!

LTZ 10-18-2005 10:40 AM

Welcome to the forums Ollie. Listen to what the members here have to say and you can't go wrong!!

OllieP 10-18-2005 05:03 PM

appreciate all the responses, this forum seems great.

Maybe I should consider getting what I want the first time, but here is my plan. The reason I want the warrior is the price and size. I'm pretty new to atv's, friends back home are who introduced them to me. The atv I decide on will be what I learn on, with the plan to buy something bigger in the future, keeping the warrior for my wife. I like the z400's and 400ex, but do not like the blaster very much. The only quads I really have experience on are a mojave, blaster, and 400ex. The 400ex seems a little too long in size for me (front to back). The blaster felt a little to short in lenght (front to back). How does the 300ex compare to the warrior? Would it be more difficult to buy a warrior and modify it to handle as well as the 300ex, or more difficult to buy a 300ex and have it perform as well as a warrior? I wanted something that doesn't need a lot of modifications to be quick, but I'm not looking for something that is faster than everything else. I would just need something that can keep up with my friend on his 400ex. He doesn't try to lose me or race, and our riding is pretty much recreational.

Again, thanks for all the help and information. I would like to use this to buy the appropriate quad for my needs.

Scooter86 10-18-2005 05:29 PM

Either the 300EX or the Warrior will be fine then. They are close enough in performance it should really come down to which one you (and the wife)feel most comfortable with. Neither one needs any work stock to do what you want them to.

OllieP 10-18-2005 05:36 PM

what is the best way to gain experience with a quad to find if you like it? I would like to ride a 300ex and a warrior to compare them.

ajd187 10-18-2005 07:48 PM

Find a local dealer that allows test rides. Test ride them both. The Warrior is now called the Raptor 350 but it's the same machine.

CaRider67 10-18-2005 08:37 PM

what is the best way to gain experience with a quad to find if you like it? I would like to ride a 300ex and a warrior to compare them. >>>>>

What is your size?? My buddy has a new Raptor 350 and IMO, too small. I wouldn't get anything smaller then a 400. Take it from somene who started out way too small....Your gonna want more, trust me. Just say F it and get the YFZ450 LOL.

OllieP 10-19-2005 03:49 AM

Originally posted by: CaRider67
What is your size?? My buddy has a new Raptor 350 and IMO, too small. I wouldn't get anything smaller then a 400. Take it from somene who started out way too small....Your gonna want more, trust me. Just say F it and get the YFZ450 LOL.
size is 5'10" but light on the weight, in the 150's. I understand your point on nothing smaller than the 400, as my friend (the one who introduced me to atv's) said the same thing, stating it is only as fast as you let it go. However, the first atv I get, I want it to be suitable for me to learn on, but small enough for my wife to ride once I do upgrade to something bigger. I believe you when you say I'm going to want more. When I visit back home, the first two times I was stuck on a mojave and a blaster. Both were slow and small, and my friend was constantly waiting up for me. Fortunately for me, it meant less desert sand in the mouth. He's let me ride his 400ex a few times, and though I need that much power just yet, I do see myself wanting it in the future. The key factors that have me settling for something smaller than what I plan to own in the future are:
learning what I'm doing (riding, maintenance, etc.)
Price
size (small enough for wife, big enough for me)

I'm thinking because of what I want, recreational trail riding (maybe recreation isn't the correct work, cause there are some serious hills to climb where I'm originally from, and plan to move back to) a four stroke is my best option, correct? Should I consider a two stroke at all? They require more maintenance, right? Anyone who feels like giving their two cents, please do not hold back. There is a lot to learn, and I look forward to it. To be honest, there is a Suzuki 250R in my area for a great price. Should I consider it? My only bad experience with a two stroke was a spark plug in need of replacement.