ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Sport Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/)
-   -   does removing the airbox lid give alot more power? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/223596-does-removing-airbox-lid-give-alot-more-power.html)

yfs200rider02 11-29-2005 06:27 PM

does removing the airbox lid give alot more power?

iv looked at websites they say if u take the airbox lid off u get more power.....and i asked some of my buddies if they ever herd of it..they said all its gunna do is get dirt in the engin...is it true?..should i try it?

skii0 11-29-2005 10:12 PM

mine runs worse without the lid....if it runs better with the lid off...but you still want it on just get the jetting right..thats what i did....

1bad450r 11-30-2005 12:06 PM

Originally posted by: yfs200rider02
iv looked at websites they say if u take the airbox lid off u get more power.....and i asked some of my buddies if they ever herd of it..they said all its gunna do is get dirt in the engin...is it true?..should i try it?
You will gain alittle power taking the lid off but you will have to re-jet the carb because you will be flowing more air. I wouldn't suggest doing this if you ride in water, otherwise go for it.

Webopper 11-30-2005 01:01 PM

Originally posted by: yfs200rider02
I'm not real familiar with the Blaster, if that's what you're talking about removing the lid on, but I would be careful removing the lid on any 2 stroke, especially if you are doing pre-mix. They dont like to run lean at all. And definately not if you are running a high flow filter (K&N as an example). I think that would be asking for trouble if you don't jet the carbs first.

If you are going to do all that - high flow filter, jetting, and lid removed -- you will see some gains in performance.

CertifiedDunatic 12-01-2005 09:01 PM

removing the lid will increade the amount of air flow passing over the filter, which means you will need to rejet. The gains will not be seriously substantial unless you get a more freely flowing exhaust.

rescuediver 12-02-2005 01:15 AM

Originally posted by: CertifiedDunatic
removing the lid will increade the amount of air flow passing over the filter, which means you will need to rejet. The gains will not be seriously substantial unless you get a more freely flowing exhaust.
I agree, to benefit the most from drilling holes in your lid or removing it, you need to replace the stock exhaust also and rejet the carb.