Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

How old is too old to ride a sport bike?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old is too old to ride a sport bike?

I just bought a new KFX400 and upon my arrival home with my new toy my wife made said "I thought you were going to get a utility bike like mine, you're 40 years old and your going to ride that?". To which I said "Uh ya". That did however get me thinking. I have been riding since I was 5 yrs old (however I haven't ridden in the last 10) and am very proficient and always ridden these types of bikes, ATCs, and quads not to mention about 10 different street bikes. . I have always enjoyed these types of bike and don't feel as if I'm ready to move to a utility bike just yet. I'll be the first to admit that it would be more practical to own a util. as I do a lot of hunting and trail riding with my family. Add to that the fact that you don't see too mant guys my age riding these bikes. I know there will come a time when I will be forced to move to a bigger, slower. and more comfortable bike. Am I crazy? If so, anyone interested in a three day old 2006 KFX400 with about 1/2 ride time on it. I look forward to sharing any responses with my wife (I think!).

Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YOU ARE NEVER TO OLD!!! Im only 21, but have know plenty of older men riding sport quads. Take this for example, on a riding trip last summer we met this 62 year old guy on a 400ex. In the back of my head I was thinking he just puts around on this thing, well I'll be damned if he didn't keep right up with us railing around corners, hitting jumps, and blasting thru creeks. Ride what you want and enjoy yourself.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe at 100+ you might start thinking that you are too old to ride a Sport ATV. I am 62 and have been riding a Yamaha 2004 Raptor 350 for the past two years. I just purchased a Kamasaki 2004 KFX400 to ride and my 61 year old wife also wants a KFX400 or LTZ400. A friend of mine is 69 and he rides a Raptor 660.

We do a lot of riding on mountain trails and Sand dunes. In 2005 we rode about 25 days.

Larry

Old 12-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

I'm 38. Don't worry about it. There is a doctor in my area that is in his 60's and roadraces a Kawasaki ZX6R.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Trade in the wife for a newer model, you are only as old as you feel.

My Dad is in his mid-60s and building a 300HP twin turbo trike. My Mom, just a few years younger, wants to take it for a spin.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: UBETRUN
Trade in the wife for a newer model, you are only as old as you feel.
First comment is a very expensive one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I agree with the second one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And I do feel old[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I'm 39 and the wife is 41, we both ride Z400's and love every minute of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Enjoy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

I had a blaster and a Warrior before I bought the Grizzly. I do miss the great handling of the Warrior but the Grizzly is so much smoother. The IRS takes alot out of the bumps and now when I ride a friends Warrior it feels like a po-go stick. I also like the traction of the 4x4. I can walk through areas that I had to struggle with on the Warrior. No more clutching to worry about . What a Blast!!!! Oh, I am 43.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

I as you feel the pains of getting old, at 34 I have had knee surgery on one side the other knee is getting to that point as well.
All the guys I ride with are in there 20's and I am the oldest of the pack but I seriously doubt that your knees are in worse shape then mine and I still ride a banshee...................
Ride on what you like and just have fun, when you are to old you will know it.
P.S. Trading in the wife doesn't sound like an option you need to explore just yet she hasn't told you to sell it has she???????

Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

IMO, your only as old as you feel. There is only one word to answer your question.....NEVER!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, she hasn't told me to sell it. SHe would never do that. She could really care less what I ride and was actually only giving me a hard time about my age. So trading her in is not an option. I'm glad to hear that according to most of you 40 is not too old. And I believe that you are all right that when the times comes I'll know. I will however second that the utility bikes do offer a superior ride as far as comfort goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How old is too old to ride a sport bike?