Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Anyone know how many MPG ATV's get??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how many MPG ATV's get??

Anyone know how many MPG A 700R Raptor YFZ450 TRX 450R and TRX700xx get.. I'm stuck between which quad to get I'm a first time rider and buyer.. But want a quad that will last for 3-5 yrs with occasional riding. I was told to get a Yamaha but if not get the next best thing Honda.. I would be ridin on all terrain except for desert (No desert in Atlanta) But instead of desert i would ride it on the street!!! Newb needs answers ALL Feedback will be GREATLY Appreciated!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Usually it depends on the size of the engine and how aggressive you are riding - my predator is a 500 and i ride aggresively, and use about half a tank (about 1.7 gal) for around 2 hours of trail and sand riding. On the other hand, my old Dirt Bike (CRF 150F) with 1.7 gal would last me 5 hours.

Oh- and by the way i would suggest getting an Independant Suspensioned quad (Outlaw 525 TRS or 700XX) - for everything except desert because they are more versatile in trail and snow etc.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot for the feedback. I was told that Polaris were trash cause they have immediate problems after 3 hours of riding.. Like they wont start or they fall apart.. I heard that Honda's new 700xx got IRS.. I would guess that is better than any other ATV suspension.. But the Honda and Polaris are larger and heavier they also hold more gas than the Raptor by an estimate of .4 gal Stock!!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

my old honda recon got about 42 mpg.
and whatever you do dont buy a polaris unless you like fixing annoying problems on a brand new machine.
just my thoughts.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah thats what I was told they are piece of shhyt. But I wanna learn how to do maintenance and add aftermarket etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

polaris is not p.o.s. than any other quad. a buddies new 700rappy is in the shop now with a bad wire somewhere going to have to have a new harness put on. honda is coming out with a 680 irs rincon or rubicon this year or next. i'll agree with the 525irs get a jet kit also they're real lean from the factory.with the irs you don't have to worry about the swingarm hitting a rock or log in the trail or hill. you should be able to pick more aggressive lines with the irs because the back wont be dancing around in the rough stuff

Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah but from my reasearch in the Metro area of Atlanta there are no trails I gotta go out in the country for trails I'm just gonna ride through yards and the street nah mean... Nothing serious unless I get a better job. Lol

Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can expect to get between 15 and 45mpg based completely on the type, weight, and engine size of the atv you buy. I also have a honda recon 250 like the guy above, and yeah it does get around 40+mpg, but it completely depends on how you're riding (such as going slow on a paved road in the middle of the night, vs. riding full throttle through the woods and stopping to idle inbetween). Although I rode an Outlander 800 and that thing went through 4 gallons in 50 minutes. I used to own a suzuki eiger 400 and it went through gas 3-4 times faster than my recon 250 does. It's very noticeable betwen engine sizes. I used to primarily ride a honda 250ex and when I bought my nice 2008 honda 400ex, I've ran out of gas too many times to count on both hands and sometimes I run out of gas 2-3 tanks in a row, luckily I have friends who will drive me to my house and back to pick up a can of gas (it's pretty embarrassing).

Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can buy bigger gas tanks...

Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Range Rover

Gas is cheep for a quad. You should be able to ride most of the day on a tank.