Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Why a Sports Quad?

Old 10-20-1999, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why choose a sports Quad? What difference does it make which Quad has the highest top-end, or can make the best speed? Isn't the true test of an All Terrain Vehicle where it will go, rather than how fast? If you need speed, why not get a street bike, or a Corvette?

Old 10-20-1999, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I just don't think a Corvette or a GSXR750 would be able to perform adequatly in the dunes or on the trails.

The term ATV is very generic. Most every type of ATV can handle various types of terrain, some better than others. Those who choose "sport" ATV's (like myself), obviously prefere to do it faster than others.

Granted my Sport may not be able to ford through 4' of mud, or cross a stream as well as a 4X4, but it excells in places where the 4X4 is weak, and better suits my riding style, and obviously many others as well.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 10-21-1999, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A400L,
What about a GSXR motor in a quad, on the trails! Look out tree Im coming through! And just because it is a sport quad does not mean it cant go through rogh terrain. My 85LT 250 R has gone many a place it shouldnt, but i take it anyway. Heck, My buddy brought his Sportsman 400 out to the dunes last year. Say what?? A Sportman on the dunes? Sure, and although it not the fastest machine, It did of course climb any hill I pointed it at. So Like A400L said, ATV is a generic term. And really a 4x4 isnt the best at handling ALL terrain. I beleive the 6x6 Maxs are better suited for all terrain. Shoot come to think aout it, the word ATC stands for All Terrain Cycle, and youd be VERY hard pressed to take them over all terrains. HAve a good one,

RoostKing...

[This message has been edited by RoostKing (edited 10-21-1999).]

Old 10-21-1999, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

I am not trying to dis Sports Quads. I plan on watching the next race at the local track (whenever that may be). I have a utility quad, and I enjoy how it gets me to all sorts of places, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a sports quad. Tell me just what it is that makes a Sports Quad fun! Maybe I would get a kick out of it, too!

Old 10-24-1999, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

One of the reasons is the rush of blasting up a hill at what sometimes seems to be mach1 instead of crawling and digging up a hill. I know cause I used to own a Kawasaki Lakota but now own a 400ex. No camparison to the thrill and fun of riding a sport over a utility.
Mike

Old 10-24-1999, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Sport quads are way more fun because you can accelerate faster, ride wheelies, slide sideways, and actually jump, let alone anything else you can come up with. However, if you want to cross mud or NEED to use your quad for work (ie moving logs, etc...) then a sport quad is not necessarily for you. It is exactly the same as cars. My Ford Explorer is not nearly as fun to drive as a Corvette on the street, in the summer. In the snow, the Explorer is fun to drive and the vette is calling a taxi. Same as sport quads. More than 8" of snow and that is it. But, I can go more places with the Ford (ie offroad) but in the same environment, the vette is more fun to drive.
As usual, it is a matter of priorities. I've never owned a utility quad, but my Dad has owned both types and now that he is older, he wants the utility, not the fun.

Old 10-24-1999, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Each type of quad, utility and sport has it's place. I wouldn't want to run the trails "all day" on a utility quad anymore. They aren't as much fun and wear you out more. Sport quads are more fun and generally easier to handle. I'm fortunate to have one of each. There "is" a fun factor built into all atv's, I think, so go for whatever type you want, but don't put the other down. That's extremely narrow minded.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 10-25-1999, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent replies, guys!

Thanks.