Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

400ex shut off at top speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex shut off at top speed

So I just bought myself a 2008 400ex. Was literally the first night riding it and I experienced a mini heart attack.. had been cruising some trails for a bit then we got on the road and headed back for the house. My buddy next to me lined up and we both hit it. I left his little 250 pretty quick and once I realized I was in my final gear i said screw it and and decided to top it out for the first time... I was nearing the Rev limiter after a pretty long pull so I let off the the throttle and the bike shut off and rolled to a stop. Now I'm not sure if it died before, after or right as I let off the throttle but it all happened quick. I pulled over, inspected the bike, everything looked okay. Tried to start it and it just cranked. Messed with it for a few and then tried turning it to reserve. Tried starting it again, it cranked for a second and then fired up. I cruised back home, opened the gas tank and it appeared to still have fuel? Switched it back to ON and drove it in the field by my house with no issues so idk if switching to reserve is what fixed it or not?? I looked online for like an emergency shut off at top speed or a certain temperature and couldn't find anything. Just wondering why it died out like that. Fires right up today but the incident still has me bugged out. Brand new bike to me ya know? Any ideas of what may have happened are appreciated.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, 400ex tank is almost all normal, only a small amount is in the reserve. If it still had a lot of fuel left then there wasn't a problem of just running out/low. I had a similar problem with my raptor. Could be some valves are loose in the carburetor, or something with the fuel line, good luck