ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Sport Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/)
-   -   2 strokes or 4 strokes?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/sport-quads/55453-2-strokes-4-strokes.html)

powerslide 01-22-2002 03:25 PM

What do you guys like best and why?

Gooch4x2 01-23-2002 11:27 AM

Well, my 2 stroke leafblower works well. 2 strokes seem to be ok in chainsaws too.

CBUS660R 01-23-2002 12:31 PM

I like them both. I ride a 4-stroke, but would like to add a 2-stroke to the garage when I have the jack. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] A few simple reasons, 4-stroke has a more linear powerband with more low end torque that makes it more rider friendly and easier to trail ride with, a 2-stroke is a more compact, lightweight package with similar power that gives you a sweet rush when you get "on the pipe".

RiverRacer04 01-23-2002 08:33 PM

i've owned a bad 4 stroke and a wicked 2 stroke. i'm not braggin on my quads or myself, dont get me wrong, but i just thought they were both great quads, and i had a large sum of money in them. the 2 stroke will give you rush that CANNOT be replaced by a fourstroke. take a two stroke, go into a hairpin turn to the left, doin about 50 or 60, and hammer the gas and cut the wheel, slide around the turn with your left leg about touchin the ground, the quad is completely sideways, and by the time you hook back up and take off again, you aint lost a single MPH. that is one h*ll of a rush. but, the raw low end power of a well built four stroke is also unmatched. you can let a 4 stroke lug around all day, then just punch on the throttle and you've got instant torque. pull the front end off the ground in a four stroke and you can lug around as long as you want without the wheels ever touchin the ground.. as for me.... as much as i love the feel of a 2 stroke, i'm goin with a 4 stroke next time around, they r a little more practical for rec. riding, and i do some major woods and swamp ridin, plus i'm a little more educated on 4 strokes, so i can do my own motor mods. just my opinion

FasterThenYou 01-24-2002 12:05 AM

I personlly like 4-stroke better.2-strokes are not very good in the woods and it costs a lot of money to keep them in good working order.But if i someday have a lot of money to burn i will go buy a banshee or something.

yamahagye 01-26-2002 04:29 AM

I don't really like one more than the other. I'd love to have an engine that had the bottom-end torque of a four stroke and the mid to top pull of a two stroke, oh wait, that would be the quadzilla........nevermind.

JaMeS

hckycoach 01-26-2002 05:59 AM

Where we race flat track every week(short 1/7 mile oval) Four strokes win the open class most often. Some fast Banshees and 330r's there, but also some very low, very fast Raptors, 400 ex's and others (we're in the "others"). Sorry Bombardier fans no hot performers at our track yet. To put it in perspective, this track is short, maybe 250' straights, and the two strokes cant pull out of the corners with a properly set up four stroke. If their power band hits too early it will kick the rear out too fast, and so they have to pass from the middle to the end of the straight, or going into the corners which becomes a little tricky when the groove is 1.5 quads wide. Most of the fast four strokes are too fast to be caught on the short straights. The season went back and forth all year until the last month when the big four strokes got dialed in and won consistently over the last four races. (open class - unlimited).

PS QuadZilla owners - no hot Zillas at this track. We have two regular Zilla's and they are bringing up the rear just ahead of the LT250r's., and sometimes the lone DS 650 which runs there. A Raptor won the overall season title in open class (grimace).

AnchorDive 01-28-2002 06:29 AM

I own a 4-stroke and my son owns a 2-stroke. When we are in the woods lugging over rocks or just riding, I lead. 10 minutes behind his and I have a headache. I'd have to agree w/Gooch4x2. I'll keep the 2-stroke for my chainsaw, but for 4-wheelers, I'm going all 4-stroke in the future. Actually aren't 2-strokes going to the same destiny as the dinosaurs anyway? This may be sooner than later, a mute point. Don't hold me to this. I can only compare this to the outboard engine market and the problems of OMC (Evinrude & Johnson). Outboards are all mandated to be clean by 2006. If this comes to pass with 4-wheelers, you won't have a choice. This decision won't be made by any of us. It will be made in some EPA meeting, and they will tell the manuf's to clean it up. If they can't build them, we can't buy them.

Luckily for the 2-stroke lovers, you can always keep rebuilding them!

RoostKing 01-28-2002 11:09 AM

I love my banshee, but my next quad will be a four stroke. Probably the new Suzuki z400 or maybe a 400 ex. Sometimes I just want a machine that I can get on, ride all day on one tank of gas, get home and throw in the garage until the next trip. The banshee is NOT that type of machine.

ducking objects thrown by my friends!!!

RoostKing...

bansheeguru 02-03-2002 11:49 AM

I also love my Banshee I have always owned 2 strokes but it all depends on your aplication it you like to just ride around in the woods or trail ridding a 4 stroke is the way to go but a four doesnt even hold a candle to a 2 stroke in the dunes or on a mx style track. So the way I see it is cater to your stile and where you ride. It sure would be nice to have the best of both world and have one of each but some of us dont have the wallet to accomadate this...