Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Fun Factor? yamahas, kaws, hondas, scramblers?

Old 03-12-2000, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, i am looking for a sport quad for about $5,000 give or take about $200. I will be owning this quad for about 4 or 5 years mabey more and as of now i am 5'5 or so and 140lbs. I have rode before and i know what i am doing. I want somthing that is snappy and responsive for wheelies and acceleration. I want it at the most 45 inches wide (i have to fit it in some trails)What would be best? and what mods could i put on it to make it better?

Old 03-13-2000, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer

I would recommend the 300EX, it has won all the sport quad shootouts and is a all around sweet machine. It is pretty fast with its 282cc and can jump very good. The 300EX goes from anywhere from
4300 to 4800 new depending on where you buy it. If you have any questions email me

Old 03-13-2000, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

For your size the 300EX would be perfect. Having fun on a machine is being able to ride it without worrying about reliability. It all comes down to personal choice, there are lots of good machines on the market. I don't regret my decision for buying a 300EX, it's a super quad. With a good pipe and K&N filter throttle response is greatly enhanced. If you get a 300EX spin them stock tires off and get a good after market set like holeshots or razrs. Once you decide what machine to buy, decisions don't stop there, ie: what pipe, what tires, on and on. Life is full of tough choices. Good luck!!!

Old 03-13-2000, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

The 300EX is a fine machine, but if you are going to spend the money and own it for a long time, I think you would get bored with it's capabilities in time...

The 400EX would probably be a better choice (can be found around the $5,000 mark, new, if you look), with 28 hp vs 16 hp from the 300EX it will be much snappier. The handling and suspension are equally better as well. Weighing in at a buck 40, the suspension is going to feel amazing at what it can soak up for a stock bike. I have a friend about your size that rides mine every now and then, he really likes it, but has a '00 XR400 of his own (he's a little taller, but about the same weight).

Note that the 400EX, according to Honda, is 45.3 inches wide and the 300EX is 43.5 inches wide. But that can be adjusted on either bike as well.

Also, on the owning it a long time note. Chances are if you got a 400EX, you wouldn't be pushing it's capabilities as much as you would be a 300EX which is going to lead to fewer bent and broken parts over the long haul.

Old 03-14-2000, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

Warrior or 400EX both have tons of mods that can be put on them first bet on the Warrior is to get new tires I have Razr's on mine

Old 03-15-2000, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

I just rode a 2000 Mojave today. I haven't rode one since the 80's. I took it ripping through a long tight trail. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't been on a Mojave in a while, but I ran all out on this tight unknown trail, the ride was f##kin' amazing.

If you know what you're doing (I mean really skilled w/ a sport) you'll love this quad. It jumps great in the woods despite it's weight, wheelies outstanding, DOHC throttle is crisp and peppy and shreads tight woods.

I was able to do most of the steering with the azz end by using legs, leaning and getting on & off the throttle at just the right time. Very little arm effort was used. By the time I got into an open spot to look back, the guy was out of sight on the Warrior and I was supprised being new to this trail. My heart was pounding from the screaming zig-zagin'.

The Mojave comes in at about 43 inches wide, 379 LBS, and $3,995. If I had "5G" I wouldn't mind spending the left over "G" for mods.

The 300EX is just a 300cc 250X. I haven't rode it but, I have rode the 250X which is good but in your face on hills. I can't see where the 300EX would excel the 250X except 50cc's. It's probably less of a jumper and handler.

Anyways, the point I'm tring to make is, don't believe magazines. There is only a 5 LB difference in the Mojave and 300EX,wheel travel is better on he 250, the measurements are real close,and the money is a $1,000 difference. The 250cc is a liquid cooled DOHC with an 11:1 compression ratio (Dirt-Ninja) v/s a 300 cc air cooled withan 8:1 compression ratio. I can't see where you can go wrong with the Mojave having all the nice extras and a "G" for mods. You would have much more quad for $5,000.

Oh, some will cry about having to kickstart, but I'd rather kick than have an electric with no back up...duh Honda!!

Old 03-15-2000, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

Gotta agree with duster the mojave kicks.I'm not trying to knock the others, they are all good quads. I like the handling on the mojave and the throttle response. It's quick and agile, jumps well, is reliable, and is just fun to ride.Im pushing low 60s with a few easy mods. I'm currently having the cylinder bored 1.0mm. I just cant help myself, I know I have a problem. At 1 grand less than the 300ex you cant go wrong. Good luck with your decision. Ride them all and pick for yourself. Oh yeah 400ex, no reverse. 300ex reverse thats really hard to engage. Also, I dont know where Frehold is but let me know if you want to come down to south jersey to go riding, near the delaware memorial bridge.

Old 03-18-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Duster,you should get a Mojave beats 300ex in a drag races and on a Motocrosss track. My friend has a 300ex with fmf pipe,holeshot tires,k&n filter,carb jets. I have the Supertapp exhaust,dyno-jet jets,Uni air filter,Razr tires all around,and a Twist throttle on my mojave and we raced down a long straight away so you could reach 5th or 6th gear for him and he might have a faster top speed but I got so far ahead of him it didn't matter he never caught me, and a bunch of my friends took turns riding both quads and racing and he lost everytime even on a Mx track he lost . They even said that the Mojave gets up and goes. They even swayed one of my friends from buying a 300ex to buying a mojave after they saw how it preformed. My opinion is mojave but they are a little bit smaller than a 300ex but they have more suspension travel and They have Team Green Plastic. Mojave has a great bottom end and can be made faster with the extra money you save. Any questions e-mail me at Mxracer98@hotmail.com Go to this web site www.wilmotmountain.com/gn2ski/index.htm click on the name Sandy (my Friend) and watch some of the movies there to prove what quads better.(Mojave and 300ex)One of the videos is a little choppy but make-able e-mail me what you think. thanks.

Old 03-18-2000, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

this is the most I good heard about the mojave I think does seem like there are that many around. I have a mojave and 250R and the mojave that I ushaly ride feel's lighter witch it is not it's smaller and I love it its the ezest to get the rear end to slide around and is ok in snow with good tires that are not on mine, my mojave has very worn down shreeders if it had a mud tire it would go pretty good like a foot if it is semi fluffy. I think I would take the warrior over it in open fields but that is just me and woods I think the mojave is the best and the reverse is the best on the mojave and one other thing the magizines say it is painful to kick start and I dont think it is at all I like it the best it may be hard for some one under 100 pounds to kick but you shouldn't have any problam (The honda 250r will kill your foot if you kick it very much).

Old 03-18-2000, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

this is the most I good heard about the mojave I think does seem like there are that many around. I have a mojave and 250R and the mojave that I ushaly ride feel's lighter witch it is not it's smaller and I love it its the ezest to get the rear end to slide around and is ok in snow with good tires that are not on mine, my mojave has very worn down shreeders if it had a mud tire it would go pretty good like a foot if it is semi fluffy. I think I would take the warrior over it in open fields but that is just me and woods I think the mojave is the best and the reverse is the best on the mojave and one other thing the magizines say it is painful to kick start and I dont think it is at all I like it the best it may be hard for some one under 100 pounds to kick but you shouldn't have any problam (The honda 250r will kill your foot if you kick it very much). Go and try them out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fun Factor? yamahas, kaws, hondas, scramblers?