Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

LT250R vs. TRX250R

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2000, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to the world of atvs and i'm wondering about what the the main differences between a LT250R and a Honda 250r are. i see alot more 250r's racing motocross and racing altogether but i don't know why they are considered better. So basiclly Im wondering why there alot more 250r's racing than there are LT250R's. Any help would be appriciated.

Old 03-28-2000, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have watched both machines race and I know people who own them. The LT has a power valve for exaust and the honda doesnt, this is the main reason why the LT can beat the 250R in stock form as the R doesnt have one.
The R will out corner an LT anyday, I have seen a 330 LT get beaten by a piped R in every corner then the LT would sling shot by.
I think the only reason u see more Rs racing is the cornering, and because of that there are lotsa aftermarket parts.
The Honda is the slowest out of all the High Performances 250 2 strokes
1 Tecate
2 LT 250R
3 250R

Old 03-30-2000, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

Well, I would say that for CORNERING, the LT would handle better for flattrack, however the suspension frame geometry of the suzuki isn't quite as good and the hOnda 250R's go through the "rough stuff" better. They also handle a little bit squirrely though. The LT might be faster stock but not modified. The TRX250R now is the fastest 250 modified because they have been racing them for the past 12 years! All the top engine builders would run something else if there was something else better(i.e. LT or Tecate 4 motor). The LT250R's are a cool bike for sure but they also don't hold up quite as well to the extreme abuse of MX,Cross country or TT racing. Flattrack racing wouls be the only area where the LT has an advantage over the TRX. And even then it would need to be a rolling start race like nascar. From a dead stop the TRX would beat it and then it wouldn't be worth running.

CT250R

Old 03-31-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I don't believe the LT250R ever had a powervalve in stock form. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have ridden a couple over the years, and with them as well. I have heard a few people comment on how fast they were, but haven't found that to be the case myself. Case in point: When I first got my ATC350X, probably around '90 or '91, I rode with an LT250R that was piped and carb'd. We would pull even on from a rolling start drag on a flat surface, until the very top, then the 350X would start slowly pulling away, I always attributed that to the fact that my 350X had 6 gears, and I think the LT only had a 5 speed. This seems to be the case with every LT250R I have been around, they just never seemed that fast to me.

Anyone with the same experiences, or is it just me?

Old 03-31-2000, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

86atc250r,

Not an arguement starter, just a correction...LOL!!!

The Lt250R was 6 speed, I raced an '88. The probable cause of your wins was most likely this...Most people re-geared the Lt more for bottom end. The Lt was awesome out of the hole anyway and you could really hurt some feelings from a dead stop on a short run with more bottom. It would run away BAD. But in long runs, another would catch up and start to pull away.

People also did this to make it a better trail machine in woods.

BE COOL!!

Old 03-31-2000, 09:35 AM
Range Rover

I am gonna have to put my two cents worth in on this one. I have a LT, and have entirely different stories to relate to. Mine is piped, jetted, ported, and geared for more topend. A friend of mine owns a 350X and he has no chance against my bike, he is a very good rider and will take a risk to beat me. I had my cousin on the back with me when we drag raced and I still beat him, we did this to see if it made much of a difference in the outcome of the race. I don't think a 350X is in the same class as a LT, nor should be compared, nothing negatice meant by this. Another friend has a TRX250R, and his is modified also, and he has a better chance then the 350, but still not enough. I rode his bike, and personally don't like it. I feel awkward on the bike, and I can't relate to everyone saying it is the best handling quad made. I can see I am going to regret saying that. :-> When you sit on the two, you feel as if you are part of the LT, kind of like sitting on my GSXR, your in the bike, not on it. The 250r and my brother's Banshee feel as if your on them. Later

Old 03-31-2000, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

there is no powervalve on any production racer

Old 03-31-2000, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

no production quad has ever had a powervalve.

Old 03-31-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Obviously the 350X and LT250R are completely different kinds of bikes, and I wasn't trying to make direct comparisons.

I was only relating several riding experiences that I had when riding my 350X at the time, when a buddy was riding an LT250R, thoses were the outcomes for me. We all know there are a lot of factors that go into any kind of racing.... Not all that familiar with the LT250R, but the one I am talking about was probably one of the first if that makes any difference.

Since then, I have ridden with a few that posed little challenge to the bikes I have been on as well, namely the ATC250R. Just my experience, others may differ....

Old 03-31-2000, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Duster...

That could be, it was a long time ago and I have long since lost track of that riding buddy. For some reason I was thinking it was a 5 speed, but wasn't sure.

We used to play "chase" all day long, we would ride trails at breakneck speed trying to lose one another, then sometimes pop out into a long, flat, open field for a straight drag, hence, the rolling start. These are the cases when the LT and I would race. It was always very close, but seems like I would pull away on the top. I probably weighed about 125/130 at the time and my 350X was still pretty new, man it had a lot of power back then, 6th gear wheelies were no problem...

Later

Quick Reply: LT250R vs. TRX250R