STOLEN This area is for listing STOLEN ATV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Snowmobiles, Toys, ETC:.

Did I buy a stolen atv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I buy a stolen atv?

So I recently purchased a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4, but things arn't adding up. So I'll start my story from the meet.
I met this guy last Tuesday to buy the quad. Was supposed to be at 6, but he let me know he was to be a little late, no big deal. 10 minutes later, he texts me saying "I got pulled over", and later says a cop pulled the guy over to run the vin and make sure it wasn't a stolen quad, which he said it resulted in a clean search. Me being stupid, didn't check the VIN, or even get a bill of sale! He has no title for it, and said the last guy didn't either. So today I was searching the atv, and looked up online where the VIN was. The VIN isn't scratched out or sanded down, but it's so rusty that I can't read it at any angle. If I can't read it now in this good lighting, there's no way a cop read it at 6:10 in the afternoon for the search. I'm pretty sure this pull over is BS. The guy seemed like he was trustworthy though. Here's what I'm asking now. What do I do??????? I have no title, no BoS, no VIN, and only his phone number. He still texts me and has even called since then when I asked for help yesterday and a shifting question. Any suggestions?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Easiest way to know for sure is check with younlocal law enforcement agency.

I'd hangnon to the seller's contact information.

Seeing that the quad is 15 years old, rust on the frame and across the vin wouldn't be uncommon. How it was taken care of would make a difference in how bad it is.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Easiest way to know for sure is check with younlocal law enforcement agency.

I'd hangnon to the seller's contact information.

Seeing that the quad is 15 years old, rust on the frame and across the vin wouldn't be uncommon. How it was taken care of would make a difference in how bad it is.
What happens if a cop pulls me over and can't pull a VIN?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by TripleC
What happens if a cop pulls me over and can't pull a VIN?
You're at the mercy of whoever pulls you over and how they feel at that particular time.

Don't know if this will work or not, but it's worth a try. Clean the rust off. Take a white crayon and rub it over the vin. Lightly wipe off the excess, trying to leave the crayon residue in the numbers themselves, making them a little more visible.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say, never been pulled over while the quad was in my truck so they can check a vin. I have been checked for registration before while I was riding the machine on state trails once. The fact he has stayed in touch with you makes me less suspicious. Usually you can place paper over the vin and get a tracing. If that or the crayon trick doesn't work you could try a dremel and one of those small wire wheels to remove some rust. They use acid to bring back vins that have been ground off sometimes too.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Moto Psycho

They use acid to read serial numbers that are filed off of guns too but I don't know what kind of acid. The dremel would probably be the best way to go.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

The acid should work on a stamped number at least. I also don't know what kind is used. That would be something to try after other methods have failed I think.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehow said it's hydrochloric acid..
ehow.com/how_5751700_restore-vin-number-acid.html

Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Paperwork nightmare

Hey all, I am new to this site but have been reading for a few weeks. Here is my issue:

I recently bought a Honda foreman off craigslist. Excellent condition with VINs intact. I even have the title... Problem is the title is from the FIRST owner which sold to this 2nd owner on Ebay... Now I am the 3rd owner. Being I live in NJ, registration isn't needed because these things r as illegal as Heroin.... Well a buddy just bought a place in PA and I want to register and insure my machine.

I ran the VIN against stolen ATVs and it's clean. What do I do? Send a snail mail letter to the orig owner (info on title paperwork) and have him sell me the ATV cutting out the middle man? I need it notorized too so do I have to drive to this guys house 3hrs away and drive him to the Motor Vehicle and sign in front of them?

Help!!!!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Check with you local dmv office and see what they laws/rules are in your state. That way you get the official answer for your area. Don't know if they have bonded titles there or not, but that is an option in Texas.

Also may want to check with the dmv/parks department in PA to see what they will accept from out of state vehicles.

Quick Reply: Did I buy a stolen atv?