How to keep your ATV from being stolen - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

STOLEN This area is for listing STOLEN ATV's, Motorcycles, Boats, Snowmobiles, Toys, ETC:.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Moto Psycho

My lock is ice-spray proof according to the manufacturer. It makes sense since it's a lot harder to freeze a lock that weighs a few pounds than it is to freeze one that only weighs a couple of ounces. And my chain supposedly can't be cut with bolt cutters. My 3 foot bolt cutters didn't even put a scratch on it so I believe it. The average thief isn't cutting either the lock or chain so it's definitely not a waste of money and I have proof of that.

I had 4 ATVs stolen, one stolen and recovered and stolen again, before I got the Xena lock and Abus chain. I haven't had a theft in the years since I got this setup. They cut through a regular chain before and when I used a little bit thicker chain they cut the lock. Most thieves aren't going through the time and effort to steal my quad now when there are easy pickings elsewhere. Anything that slows them down or stops them is worth it. The truly determined thief could use a cutting torch to cut through anything you put in their way but most thieves are opportunists that are too lazy to put in the effort it takes and they don't want to hang around long enough to get caught.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Range Rover

The running joke on the Yamaha forum is to just put a Polaris cover over your quad and that will keep the thieves away.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Moto Psycho

Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard from others that a cable is much more difficult to cut thru with cable cutters or an angle grinder. I found a short piece of 3/8" dia cable so the neighbor and I decided to give it a whirl. It took forever to cut thru this crp with either angle grinder or chain/cable cutter. This stuff just mushes out rather than cut. We spent more than a half hour each way trying to cut thru this stuff.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 PM
Moto Psycho

That's odd. I cut through a 1/4" or 5/16" winch cable with my angle grinder. At a claimed 12,500 RPMs it didn't take long at all. I thought 3/8" would take just a little longer. When I cut mine I wrapped several layers of electrical tape around it and cut through the tape. It made a nice clean cut on both ends.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol

ya cable is a much better option and way cheaper and cheap to have a shop crimp some eyes in it. Even with a grinder you have to make sure to pull the cable slightly tight to cut but just about impossible with bolt cutters.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

I do know that when I shortened my winch cable that stranded cable was a pain in the a$$ to get thru with my angle grinder. The strands would vibrate like crazy rather than cut thru. Now if the cable is pulled really tight that may speed up the process, but a crook isn't going to have much time to stretch the cable tight.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Moto Psycho

If you ever have to cut through cable again try wrapping it with several layers of tape. You wouldn't believe how well it worked for me.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Mr Frank!been like 4years!i found two unanswered pm's from 2013!lol glad to hear you have a handle on the security for your Ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Moto Psycho

Hi MECHANIKE. When I saw your name I was thinking wow that guy hasn't been on here since forever. I hope you're doing well. I got my quad locked up tight but the wind keeps blowing the cover off during storms. Oh well, everything can't be perfect.