Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...

whos the one that dont know there @ss from a hole in the ground... i was replying beacuse it seemd the creator of this thread was implying that aluminum wheels suck for racing and that he needed steel wheels.... hmm just kinda funny to me dont see to many ppl racing with that set up

man wish i had a yfz so i could diss on other quads sayin how much the ex, z, etc, breaks and sucks *****...(by the way im not brand loyal) wait we'll just see how the new honda does when it hits the tracks one on one with the yfz next spring after the companys get some trick **** made for em, u know the trx450 is gonna be the bomb diggedy... when honda came out with the 400ex it was revolutionairy and it started the sport atv industry up again after about 10 years of the same ol same ol. so u kinda afta think that they have something big planned for this one you know its gonna rock. but yeah im tired of hearing about the yfz cant be to bada$$ there gettin beat

dirtwheels rocks like mullets rockText

Old 08-20-2003, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

wason400exnowlt250r: Im the creator of the thread, not once did I say anything about wheels. When too much aluminum is used, then the quad will not be as durable. Aluminum wheels are fine for racing, they usually get switched every couple races anyways, so why not go with them? As a long term, trail quad, IMO, steel rims woud be better. NOBODY, but Honda, knows if theyvre been working on a 450 this WHOLE time like many people claim. I bet they were just waiting for the 400EX sales to drop off, then introduce a new quad. I bet teh new 450 Will be the CRF 450 engine inside a 400EX frame with new plastics. I may be wrong, but NOBODY is right.

I was using the Saleen and Vette thing as a comparison. You cocky little ****, yur 300zx is ugly as sin. you clearly arnt getting my point. For many people, the YFZ isnt practical. For a low budget racer, it makes perfect sense. I flat landed my Z from high drops, my axle and my frame is just fine. Lets see how your 300zx would do in the 1/4 against my dads '70 Chevelle SS, 454, LS6, 450hp...

Of course a steel ATV would be heavy, aluminum is great to use, but making a whole quad out of aluminum wouldnt be smart (unless you get an LRD, ect frame). Aluminum is great till a certain point, but once you start using too much of it in certain areas, it could become a nightmare.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

ridley ur right the creator of this thread is dumb.. i think hes a lil rich boy that dont know much and reads to much dirtwheels... if mu ugly as sin 300zx with about 20,000 at least in it will keep up with a supercharged vette i think it will have no prob. with ur dads chevelle... next time ur in ky or any surrounding states find me, ill race u on the mx track than ur dad at the quater mile u mite wanna change ur wheels first they mite be getiin kinda banged up

im outskee

Old 08-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well I guess you guys are just as dumb as I am for even replying to this thread.

Ridley: The YFZ is purpose built. No kidding its gonna be better on the track, stock for stock, the YFZ will smoke the Z. On the trails, the YFZ suspension is ****. Too stiff for trails. A guy at another forum has a friend who loves his YFZ, but when he took it out on trails, he hated it. You guys obviously missed it when I said that for MOST people, the YFZ isnt practical. The YFZ hauls ***, no doubt. But a purpose built quad should hold up in those conditions. Ive heard of people cracking the YFZ swingarm, and we all know people are bending a arms.

Every quad has its flaws. Including the YFZ.

Old 08-21-2003, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

You guys that are talkin about stock vs. stock can definatly say a YFZ is better than a Z in every category, but how many of you guys actually keep up with the racing news. A race ready YFZ and a race ready Z or KFX are just as good as the other. Heres a good example...for you guys who keep up with racing. Are you seeing Z's and KFX's get stomped by YFZ's?...huh? Which one has Kory Ellis did better on?...Hmmm...gives ya somethin to think about. Going by racings stats the yfz has nothing on the Z or KFX. When you see more YFZ's winning than green and yellow quads ill hand the yfz the crown but untill then i say it holds nothing over the z or kfx. Also I think that some of you guys who really dont know that much about racing should keep your oppinion to yourself because if you knew anything you would know that a 400EX, Z, KFX, crf450,yfz, yz450f race quads are all equal. They have to be equal. Thats what the cc limits are for. Pro riders go with whoever offers them the best benefits and whoever they can get the most sponsors with. People who are ignorant about this are embarasing to you quad name and other people who ride them, and im not refering to any specific person or any specific quad. 400ex riders, kfx and Z riders and yfz riders have all said ignorant things about their quads because they have become brand loyal and if you have any real respect for the sport you wont make biased remarks that show your ignorance. just my 2 cents, like it or not, its the truth and we all know it.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah wason400ex and Ridley, how many YFZs do you see at the gates of major race events? I know it hasnt been out long, but theres enough of them iut there and its not like theyre hard to come by.

Old 08-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

well see what happens this winter when all the the aftermarket companys really start tinkering with the yfz and trx450 then i bet anything that youll see the pros switching from kawi and suzuki to yamaha and honda... really cant say much about the honda since its not out yet but the engine in the cr450 is pretty comparible to the yzf450 jsut the hondas powerband is a lil calmer compared to the yzf and the engine is a bit lighter. so till than i guess ill give all the engine builders there props for makin the z and kfz have a bit more h.p. and a lil faster for all you real racers.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:30 AM
Pro Rider

OMG.. Its Brand wars III . Dang Never See This Kinda action Anywhere Else. Worse than Tyson and Holyfield .. "Hey Now" Watch the Ears. LOL
Anyways Just Figure i Would Throw My 2 Cents In.. and Im Not a Loyalist to any Brand Because i Like them all i Have Ridden the 400Ex For Years and i Was waiting In Line when the Z Hit the Floor Last Year, I would Say that the 400Ex Does Handle Better Than the Z - Stock to Stock But i Had No Complaints About the Z and I Put $hit-Loads of Cash into Mine and Loved Every Minute of It But Still I Did Not Have the Performance with the Z as i Do Now With the YFZ and Mine is Still Relitively Stock. Durability Wize I Think the YFZ is Very Durable, the First Time i Seen One Was When i Was Helping a Guy Clean His Off the Highway ( Was Not A Pretty Sight ) Driving Home From The Dealer ship The Guys Rope Broke and It Rolled Off his Trailer Doing about 70MPH Both A-Arms Snapped Along with the Axle and White Plastic Everywhere , the SwingArm With the Exeption of a Few Scratches Was Unharmed and The Subframe Had a Very Big Chunk Taken Out of It , But the Engine and Frame Again With the Exeption of Scratches Where Nearly Unharmed ( Must have Sucked Cause He Just Bought it ) .. TAUGHT me a Lesson Never Use Rope As Tie Downs ...LOL A Few Months After A Bought My Z i Was Doing Some Wheelies and Busted part Of My Frame when i Came Down Hard After Tipping Back to Far and having to Tap the Brakes .. It Did Not Cost Much To Fix and Im Sure that the YFZ Frame will Eventually Do the Same. But Untill Then Im Just Going to Have Some Fun with It Another Thing Is .. And Not To Start Another Argument But i Have Read Some of the Articles at Thumper Talk and See that They are Getting Some Good HP Numbers Out of Very Simular Engines , And i Dont See Why You Guys Are Worried So Bad About How Much HP This Thing IS going to Get. If You dont Like it Dont Buy It !!!. and As For Race Ready Off the Show Room Floor .. This Is the Closest a Manufacturer has Ever Gotten to The Performance of these Machines But Lets Face the Facts.
1. Everyone Has thier Own Tastes As Far has Handling and Power so they Are Of Definately Goin to Thow A Part On Here and There
2. Aluminum Is Light Weight and Will Never Have the Strength Of Steel .. But Steel Can Still Be Bent and will Never Be As Light As Aluminum
3.None of These Bikes are Ever Going to Be Perfect For Every Type of Riding With One particular Setup .. Trail Riders probably Won't Like It For the Lack Of Reverse and Stiff Ride .. But Trail riders Are How much % of the market ? and Typical Every Day Riders Like Myself And MXer's Prefer Not to Have to Spend As Much Cash To Get the Performance This Thing Offers Out of the Box.
4. Nothing Lasts Forever and Everything is Prone To Break Now and Then ... So Deal with it

Peace ...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2003, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am new to this quad world, used to race motocross, bad accident and 4 years later I baught 2 KFX 400,s (Z-400). All I know is these new qauds are all pretty awsome, I believe the the YZF's have some advantages over my KFX but reading this frenzy on what quad will smoke what is humorous. I always thought that the rider had something to do with it. Matter of fact I remember smoking many 250,s while riding my CR 125.

Old 08-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I guess wason400ex didnt hear, new sport quads may be comming from Kawi and Suzuki, Suzukis will be a 2 stroke 250 and Kawi will throw a thumper in there, so uh, maybe they will be making that switch back again.

Ridley: there arnt too many trails in which the YFZ suspension shines on. Trails are usually tight, high speeds will wreck you.... I figured this one out.... The YFZ cannot do it all, like you are trying to get at. Its made for the track and thats it.

Quick Reply: Z400 vs YFZ450... heres the deal...