ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   King Quad Tips!!!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/13708-king-quad-tips.html)

jester4736 07-03-2000 01:49 PM

Does anyone have any cool tips that I or any other person for that matter, could do to their King Quad, to either get more power, speed or anything else out of them???

Long Live the King

00 King Quad
97 Honda 300 4x4

Tree Farmer 07-03-2000 04:57 PM

Jester, why not ask this question on the Polaris ATVs forum. I'm sure readers there have lots of tips for you.

Tree Farmer

ecorman1 07-03-2000 10:54 PM

Tree Farmer! Do you own a quad, car, bicycle, anything other than that box you're lookin' at? I only ask because, you're so very resourceful. And if you do have any of those items, do you ever get to use them?
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Tree Farmer 07-03-2000 11:27 PM

Thanks for your acknowledgment of my resourcefulness, Chuck!

Since I am resourceful, I am blessed with certain resources. And, I DO get to use them, a blessing in itself.

Consider: Month-before-last, about 30 miles through the quagmire of the Tidewater; a baker's dozen ATV's; ALL (self included) getting stuck at one time or another. Last month, 30 miles through some of the Eastern Seaboard's rockiest mountain trails with a handfull of other ATVers; on another weekend, 90 miles through the Eastern PA coal country with about 30 ATVers (man! those coal pits are fun!); plus, last Friday, 30 miles through the Piedmont with a family group; three quads and two dirt bikes. Next weekend, I'm invited to Slade's Off-Road Park, Surry, VA; hope to attend.

Contact me, Chuck, anytime you're in the area if you'd like to ride with us; I've ridden Cochranton, Tour de Forest, Quads, On-the-Rocks! and the Little Fort Trail Ride with a valued partner who, like you, rides a most impressive Suzuki King Quad.

Tree Farmer

P.S. Oh, yeah, you asked about a car or bicycle. Haven't had a bicycle for a long time; wanna talk about the Wildcat? 455 overbored, Lunati Hemi-killer cam, looooooong twin glasspacks, . . . am I boring you?

T.F.

ecorman1 07-04-2000 12:27 AM

Nope! Not board at all... I just about fell off my chair from chuckling though. Your travels have been many with your ATVer friends. It sounds a little like you have more time than most working stiffs. I'd enjoy coming down in the area to ride with some of you guys. Maybe in the next year, some of my friends and me will be able to do that. The coal country, Piedmont and Cochranton, all sound great.
Am I to understand, you have a Buick Wildcat? 455 CID? Is it all original, did you buy it new? I own a '68 Dodge Charger, 383 CID, 800 CFM Holley Carb, Iski Cam, Pistons= 12.5:1 and an eight track tape player. I've owned the car since 1970. Nice talkin' to you, Tree Farmer.
chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

bloodtrail 07-04-2000 12:49 AM

Tree Farmer: Funny thing you mentioned a wildcat w/455. I sold my 71 G.S Stage-1 which I owned for 14 years just 2 years back! I had a Lunati cam, Kenne-Bell headers, Edelbrock B4B intake,ported and polished heads. Do you belong to the G.S.C.A? I used to drive from Wisconsin to Bowling Green, KY to the Nationals. Never thought I would sell my buick but......I did...Started to hunt and run quads, so something had to go. Sorry to get off the king quad thread here, but when I seen 455cid and the word lunati I got worked up!!!

Tree Farmer 07-04-2000 01:53 AM

Oh, guys! We do digress, don't we?

O.K.; the Wildcat is a '67 I inherited from my aunt. Its original mill was a 430; however, the camshaft lubrication wasn't too great on that engine; when I lost a bearing up there, my speed shop recommended the rebuilt 455 they had on the engine stand. That engine had a Lunati Hemi-killer cam; I was told it would be o.k. for the street, exhibiting a "mild lope."

MILD? I wonder what a "wild" lope looks like to these guys! First thing, I had to install a vacuum reservoir tank, because little vacuum is pulled on idle; still I'm afraid to trust this beauty to a parking lot attendant, fearing he'll go through the wall when he loses vacuum assist on the brakes, likely to happen when backing and filling.

I shoulda installed a trick torque converter with about 3 grand stall speed, but I'm living with the "Switch-the-Pitch" OEM model.

Now, about that GS! Once, in my misspent youth, I came upon a GS while driving my 327/350 hydro-cammed close-ratio manual with mild performance axle '65 Corvette. We were on straight-arrow, farm roads in the midst of the table-top flat flower fields around Lompoc, CA.

That GS gave me one of the hardest, ummmm, what shall I say, encounters, ever experienced while driving my dark-dark-dark-dark green fiberglass rocket.

I had beaten GTO's winning stock class at the local NHRA drag strip (Santa Maria), but that GS was tough!

Who, uh, arrived at the intersection first? Don't expect ME to tell you HE did! However, he might have, had he not braked first as we came up on the right-angled turn . . .

WARNING! Do not try this at home. Saving it for the strip is a better course.

My point: GS's are some running machines, properly set up and tuned. Please note: I do not slight Ecorman1's Mopar, a sanitary-sounding machine, indeed, hastening to add, "Hemi-killer" is a trade name of Lunati, not some Dodge-dissing trash I invented, Dodges in fact are my first love.

If anyone's still reading this, I apologize for my extended walk down memory lane, confessing to a not-ATV-related post. Ecorman1 and bloodtrail MADE me do it!

Tree Farmer

Ron70 07-04-2000 08:52 AM

Yes Jester, I know EXACTLY what your kingquad needs, a A Polaris Engine! Gee you go down in the Polaris Forum, and say How powerful your quad is, and how it can outmud, out pull anything and everything Polaris has to offer, yet you come here and ask how to improve it, I dont get it.

Bill.Ciliberti 07-04-2000 02:45 PM

Ron 70,
Thanks for saying what I felt like saying to the Jester fellow.But it seems that he has lightened up somewhat so I feel better about trying to help him.

Jester,As the previous owner of a 87 KQ and the caretaker and part time mechanic of my brothers 97 KQ,I would like to inform you that the first thing you need to improve is the stock tires that come on the KQ.The KQ is quite a neat little 4x4,but the tires have GOT TO GO.[Traction sucks]Im telling you this thru experience.My bothers KQ turned into a traction monster after adding Super Swamper Vampires on it. What a differance they made in traction.We kept the same size rims and added 2 inches of width to the rear tires,and 1 inch wider up front.Im not recommending that you increase your tires height,the KQ does not supply enough power from the little 280cc engine to turn the bigger tires to well.Now for a power increase,you might be better off asking Ecorman about that.He installed a HP pipe on his KQ,im not yet sure if he has decided that it was worth the extra money for the power gain he obtained.I ride with him alot,and I've never asked him that question yet.On some quads,the pipes dont do much for the amount of money you invested in them,I just dont know if that applies to the KQ.How about switching your stock air filter to a KN air filter?It allows the engine to breath better and costs around 40 dollars.There is another person,Eric Battz,he is a KQ owner and is very helpful on the KQ topics,best of luck,and dont worry what you ride,just ride,===Bill

ecbaatz 07-04-2000 10:26 PM

I don't have any tips (yet) concerning engine modifcations but have some concerning:

1) starting in any gear
2) using the differential lock in any range
3) brake and backup lights
4) hitch modification
5) chainsaw holder for the front rack (at least that is where I mount mine)
6) tach/hour meter

I am always looking for modifications/enhancements to add to my collection. If you want to add some or would like to look at those I have let me know and I will send them to you.