ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   Lt250R rebuild questions (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/142947-lt250r-rebuild-questions.html)

Marky522 03-10-2004 08:23 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

I have decided to put the purchase of a crotch rocket on hold for now which frees up money to do some refreshing on my quad, i want to have my engine gone through and freshened up, it fires up and runs good, i dont think its quite as fast as it should be, and it fouls plugs about every 4-5 run hours, i think it is due to a kiehn cab and paulturner pipe that wasnt jetted correctly. When you put it in 1st from neutral it'll pop back into N, and when you are riding and shift aggressively it doesnt feel like the power hooks up immediately, maybe clutch???? and its hard to find neutral when running. So i am assuming gear work will be needed, and a new clutch. Can anyone suggest a shop that does good work reasonably? I dont want to drop a whole bunch of my money into just this, but i want it to be reliable. And if anyone has any "While your in there" suggestions i am all ears.

Mark

CTATV 03-10-2004 09:00 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

im no expert but I'd guess its definatly some clutch issues from the sound of that. This post will bump it back up maybe some other people will agree with me.

Marky522 03-10-2004 09:28 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

if so can anyone reccomend a replacement? Should i stay stock ?

Mark

ShadyRascal 03-11-2004 12:35 AM

Lt250R rebuild questions

I replaced the clutch in my 87 LT with another stock one. I run the crap out of it on sand with paddles and towed my kid's dead Blaster WAAAAY out from the back, still works fine.

Ronnnnn 03-11-2004 08:43 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

you can send your engine to ftz and have them tech/inspec and replace, they dont take to long most of the time.

sounds like you will need forks, a bore and piston if it has been a long time and new plates in your clutch.

get it back in the quad and take the time to break it in and then jet it correctly and you should be good to
go for along time.

If you are handy with a wrench taking your bottom end apart aint that bad of a chore.

Marky522 03-11-2004 09:24 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

I am very handy with a wrench, but i am afraid to pull this apart, this is one of the very few toys i have ever bought that for the most part worked without much work, i want to enjoy it.. I could do it but am afraid i might do more harm then good. any opinions would be appreciated.

Mark

Ronnnnn 03-11-2004 10:03 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

if you can afford it send it to somebody with a history for performance LT250 work.

Marky522 03-11-2004 10:30 PM

Lt250R rebuild questions

Thats my problem, i dont have THAT much money to spend, I e-mailed trinity and for a stock rebuild they said between $1000 and $1500. I am looking to spend about $500, is this unreasonable?

Mark

Icehouse 03-12-2004 12:24 AM

Lt250R rebuild questions

I am no expert on atv's but have done my fair share in rebuilding my 89 lt250 motor. If you feel you arent getting the power you should from your motor id check the compression , your motor may just be getting weak. A new clutch isnt a bad i dea either. An after market clutch only costs like 90 $. What i do know for sure is that if your tranny is popping out of gear you need new shift forks. An lt has 3 shift forks and when they get worn out it pops out of gear . Shift forks dont really wear out but get bent from people shifting too hard. For 500 you can do alot to your engine, but only if you do the work yourself. 2-strokes are easy to work on but also easy to mess up. What id do is this: buy a new clutch for under a 100$ and youll get stiffer new springs that will help get the power you have to the ground. Next get a head mod usually under 50$. Next i would order 3 new shift forks 30$ each. Split your own cases which will save you 100$ in labor. Last find a shop to redo your top end 150$, and pay labor for them to install forks and put motor back together.

Marky522 03-12-2004 08:51 AM

Lt250R rebuild questions

So your saying if i do half, (the easy half) of the work, it'll save me all that money??? What kind of head mod would you reccomend? I was thinking if sending the cyl out for some porting, i heard someone say that tehy used the guy on ebay, i was also looking at a guy on ebay to do mine, he has 106 feedback and is %100, so i think he would be ok. This is making me happier by the minute, i might have the money to get some of the stuff i want for my bike, while the engine is off i am getting the frame and all the components powder coated, hopefully new plastics (maybe) want new brake lines and clamps, but those last few thing s are money dependent.

Thanks for the help, zukzilla is local to me so i am waiting for him to tell me if he knows any local shops to do some of the work.

Mark