Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Problem w/ oil on z400

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem w/ oil on z400

i went to check the oil in my z today and it overflowed. I know I didn't put much oil in it when I did my last oil change. Does anyone know why this could have happened. I had it off for like 2 minutes when I took he cap off.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem on my 03 Z400. The advice I got was I overfilled it at sometime. I can't remember a time when I would have done that, but the engine has survived a year with this condition and I have not noticed any ill effects. The next time I change oil, I am going to be very careful to no overfill, and check it only after it has sat for at least 10 minutes after running. we'll see. I'd also be interested in any new responses.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

put 2100 ml in it when u change the oil filter and u will be fine....

Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I heard from a few friends that the Suzuki z400 had a problem with what appears to be gas getting into the oil system, they tell me it has happened to 4 different z400’s. With that said I had reservation on buying my girlfriend one because of that problem. Well I did end up getting her one and last weekend we went riding and well I had the problem. First she starting telling me she was having a problem shifting and I noticed she was. I then thought I had better check the oil and with the bike shut off the oil started poring out of the oil reservoir. I have not even made my first payment yet.

I should also add I know this is not water in the oil because the oil is not milky looking.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

Are you sure you are letting the motor cool down enough before checking the oil. If you don't wait about five minutes after shutting her down it will overflow.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did not let it cool down, I just shut it off and checked it. This might sound like a dumb question but why would it be over full if it was warm? I have the oil saved and I am thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have it analyzed to make sure its nothing more then oil.

When I say it was over full I don’t just mean a little over full. When I took the dip stick out it just started poring out. We were on a night ride on the dunes when it happened and we were going slowly as to not kill our selves and it was her first night ride.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

I have done the same thing, shut it down and check it and the oil is just flowing out. Then I let it cool down for a few minutes and checked it and it was a hair low but I figured it was because of the amount that poured out. Ever since then I have always let the bike cool down and never had a problem. I just checked my manual and it says to let the bike sit for at least three minutes before checking your oil.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

That makes me feel a lot better. I was thinking I have some kind of problem with the new bike. I started questioning if I really had a problem or not after I changed the oil and it looked just fine.

Thank you for your help.

I will try letting it cool down next time.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

Hey no problem, I'm glad I could help. I know that feeling when you think there is something wrong with your brand new bike that cost a sh** load of money.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

a friend of mine had the same problem only his pours out of the oil tank when you pull the lid off even when it is completely cold.

Quick Reply: Problem w/ oil on z400