Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

should I buy a z400 or yfz 450? Rate your z400.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I buy a z400 or yfz 450? Rate your z400.

I don't think the YFZ would be nearly as forgiving in general riding as the Z is. I bought my 400 almost half a year ago and it has been great (was my first bike as well). Now I've done a few mods to it and the thing completely rips. It is an incredible trail bike and is a very smooth ride. My brothers 400ex shakes on it's own like it's a polaroid.

When I was at silver lake a couple weeks ago I rode a YFZ450 with a yoshi slip-on and rejet. This thing was fast. It was an incredible machine to ride. However, I could tell this thing was set up for MX. Nothing wrong with that, as that's what it was designed for. It seemed to shake just as much or more than my brothers 400ex and ride about just as smooth. The yamaha is an amazing bike, but I still prefer my Z.

Old 08-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you were at silver lakes dunes what were the permits needed if you are from out of stated how much did you end up paying and did you have to do a decable check?

Old 08-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

I have never seen them do a decibel test. I've only been there twice, but for a couple days each time (on very busy weekends). The most I've seen them do is test for spark arrestors, so make sure your bike has one.

If you're out of state, like I was, stickers will cost you around $50 I believe. I think it's $15 for state registartion and $30 for a year-long park pass (might be vice versa). Either way it's just about $50 per quad. As far as vouchers, there are two types. Dune ready and parking lot. If you're just driving your truck with your trailer to the parking lot, then all you need is a parking lot voucher. Dune ready lets you take your truck/buggy/whatever out on the dunes. Parking lot vouchers are only for Saturday and Sunday, and are picked up the previous night. So for instance, the line for vouchers for saturday usually starts around 8:00pm (you can get there at 8:30 and be fine). At 9 they are given out. It's a simple system once you think it all through.

Hey btw, how do you like your hotcams? Did it take away any bottom end? Did you notice an overall difference? How about the CDI?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a z400 and a yfz. I do mostly trail riding and I can't stand my Yfz! I have had it for 3 months and Im ready to sell it! My wife drives the z400, so I ride the the yfz and let me tell you, the power and handling is better than the z400, but thats it! The z400 is smoother, less vibration, more comfortable, has reverse, and wont stall like the yfz. And on top of all this my yfz had to be rejetted as soon as I bought it new like everyone elses cause yamaha jets them lean from the factory, and these things run hot! The header is so thin that the heat comes out and burns your leg! These things stall very easily if you dont keep them revved up and they bog too! If your wanting to race motocross its better, but in the trails the z400 is the BEST! The yfz has a WIDE turning radius + no reverse=hell. I am trading mine in on a new 05 white z400 as soon as I locate one. I would think twice on the yfz for trails if I were you! Im going to lose $2000 on my yfz cause of this mistake!!

Old 08-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Wait i am confused, so you can only park in the parking lot sat and sun. So does that mean that you can only ride on Sat and Sun. As well as you have to get the parking lot voucher the night before right? Is there a chance you get there and all the vouchers are all gone? I will respond to your questions about the cams and cdi after you reply back.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Range Rover

No no no, monday-friday you can ride there as well, you just don't need any vouchers at all. They only use the voucher system on the weekends when it is the busiest. Monday-Friday they let you right in. It's possible that the parking lot could fill up but again it's never happened to me.

It is possible to get there too late for vouchers, I suppose, but it's never happened to me. Trust me, it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds. As long as you get in the voucher line by 8:30pm you'll be absolutely fine. And believe, you'll have no problems locating the line.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Range Rover

Hey tnj, that's another thing I noticed about the 450 I rode. It was even rejetted but it gave off more heat than my Z did without a heatshield. I had burnt my leg earlier in the day and it was almost unbearable to ride the Yamaha because of the amount of heat coming off it.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

You know now that you talk about the heat thing thats true with the yfz's it gets so hot that it will turn red at the header. SEEN IT. As well as it does want to stall out very easely. I didnt like it much either.
QUADNOOB its funny that you ask me about my hotcams, because i was asking the exact same questions right before i put them in, but no one would say much. So let me give the DL on the hotcams. I would say they gave me more power in the mid to top. Lost a little low end but its nothing to complain about, beleive me i am the pickiest motherfcker! out there. But they claim a 14% increase in hp. I can feel it i must say plus i have the cdi which lets those cams run better. I can tell because i pull on my friends V-force even more now.Text THe cdi i have in is made from Big Guns and it works great adds 1000 rpms. Lets put it like this I have never been beat by another 400cc size quad. Last week i was at ottwa illinois Fox valley off road park and i drag raced my buddys V-forve and this Pred that had a slip on exhaust, air box and was jetted. I smoke him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(With out the Nos) Everything i have on my list has worked excellent on my quad its so fast. Just got the NOS hooked up and getting that tuned in today. I think tommorrow i am going to dyno run it with the nos. Oh by the way i am running a 20hp shot.

Old 08-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Range Rover

Nice! That sounds awesome.

How much did you pay for them? I think I found a whole kit for around $240 on ebay. This sounds like something I'm definitely going to do. My exhaust gave me a lot more bottom end so I'm willing to sacrifice some for more on the mid-top range. This will be cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

What is inlcuded in the deal? I bought a brand new kit that includes both cams, k&n airfilter, the metal adapter, outerwear, and a jet kit with a bunch of jets. Just the cams alone usaully cost 150 a peice. You will definatly enjoy them. Just make sure wear ever you get them installed are true to there work, it should only take at the MAX 3-4 hours,so dont let any dealership fool you. Also you might want to invest in a cdi. I think tommorrow i am going to drag race my buddys yfz-450.

Quick Reply: should I buy a z400 or yfz 450? Rate your z400.