ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   TwinPeaks CVT: Kawasaki or Suzuki? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/175350-twinpeaks-cvt-kawasaki-suzuki.html)

RedGoblin 10-06-2004 06:06 PM

TwinPeaks CVT: Kawasaki or Suzuki?

Is the CVT system on the TwinPeaks 700 that exact same one as the Kawasaki Prairie or did Suzuki by any chance integrate their own Quadmatic CVT to the Peaks?

pads 10-06-2004 08:20 PM

It's the Kawasaki one

spikeland 10-06-2004 08:45 PM

unfortunately pads is right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

RedGoblin 10-06-2004 09:32 PM

Darn. I was hoping to maybe find a good deal on an '04 TwinPeaks if it didn't have the Kawi CVT. That and the struts are the only things I dislike about the Prairie.

maddog56 10-06-2004 09:34 PM

Whats wrong with the cvt? the 700 cvt doesnt have any inherent problems and works great on the prairie, kfx700, and twinpeaks.

RedGoblin 10-06-2004 11:18 PM

While it is very tuneable and CAN be very reliable when properly maintaned, I'd prefer to have a system that you didn't have to mess with at all unless you wanted to put some aftermarket parts into it like the Suzuki CVT. Just my laziness I suppose.

maddog56 10-06-2004 11:21 PM

You dont have to do a thing to it. If you want bigger tires a different secondary spring will help belt life but you can easily get over the recommended belt replacement life without handling anything but the gas cap.

Where are you getting your info??? The 03 p650 had a belt wear issue that was remedied for 04 and in the bikes I mentioned earlier.

RedGoblin 10-08-2004 05:08 PM

You will replace the belt every so-and-so miles on the Prairies where you won't even be thinking about it on the Suzukis.

cc1999 10-09-2004 02:57 AM

I am not sure but wouldn't the Suki CVT belt wear out at some point, I have yet to put a new belt on a Kawi CVT and one of ours has over 1500 miles and 2 years of very, very agressive riding in all type of terrain. I do plan to pull the cover and inspect the belt on the P650 I heard it slip a little when I was pulling 1000+ pound SP500 rider and gear over a 12000 FT pass in Colorado last month. It will be the first the cover has aver been off the quad. Just to be clear,my dad has 2 quads with kawi CVT and I have 3 and another buddy has one too. Thats 6 Kawi CVT's no problems or new belts yet.

RedGoblin 10-11-2004 01:05 AM

Yes, eventually every belt would have to be replaced, no matter what the make. However, I believe it's a well-known fact that the Suzukis and Yamahas have got the Kawasakis beat on CVT longevity. However, the Kawasakis are much easier to tune supposedly. Depends on your will and desire to play with the springs, weights, etc.