Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Who benefits the most from the Suzuki/Kawasaki alliance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who benefits the most from the Suzuki/Kawasaki alliance?

See if I have this correct, Suzuki gets the Prarie series (labeled Twinpeaks) from Kawasaki. Kawasaki get the LT50, LT80 and the Z400 from Suzuki. Who benefits most from this alliance? Is it Kawasaki because they get more machines or is it Suzuki because they have opportunity to sell more through Kawasaki? Or is it the consumer, they get the machine they want with the brand name they prefer?

Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

There are street bikes and dirt bikes going back and forth also. They both save $ on R&D this way so it is beneficial to both companies.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

an interesting question. but to me it seems the alliance is maybe slipping?

suzuki's z400 got several changes for 2005 that the KFX did NOT get. neither did the AC DVX400.
could suzuki have used these companies as pawns in the previously mentioned R&D game? suzuki didnt lose aything by the alliances. kawasaki and cat still buy stuff from suzuki which for them (suzuki) in many ways is better than selling to the public - you get garranteed sales whether the other factory sells the bikes they put together (with their own name on it) or not.

and for the new 450s that suzuki and kawasaki are supposed to be coming out with - that was not a joint venture. why? hmmmm. .. they want their own identity now...

and i may be wrong on this one, but seems like the paraire series over at kawasaki is being replaced with the Brute Force stuff. changing the name on something legally changes contractural obligations (that is a fact look at texaco and star).

could the name changing signal that kawasaki wants out as well?

Old 11-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

The KFX and DVX got all the changes the Z400 did for 05, I've seen all 3 in person right next to each other. As for the 450s I beleive its stated in the press release, but not positive that the alliance is to fill the gaps in the lower lineups and not for their flagship bikes. As far as working together I beleive the only joint machine so far is the KX250F.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

ok. i feel like an @ss. i read where suzuki didnt share it. and no none was talking about it. i researched it a little to find out... there's no kawasaki or arctic dealers in town anymore so i couldnt go see.....the kawa site now shows the changes and it previously did not. i havnt checked it in a couple weeks, though. still not on the dvx site. i think the alliance still benefited suzuki more.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

I think Suzuki benefits from it, cause their plants make all the engines.....i think, so wouldnt they be pullin in more money?

Old 11-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

I'm not sure but I've been told that the "honeymoon" is over between a number of these companies.

Next year both will be back to self development, so I've been told...but it was just on a forum...and I don't know where he got his info. But on paper it seems so...Suzuki drops the twin peaks this year, and runs with the KQ...Kawai drops praire 700 to move people over to the new "brute" line up and will offer a bigger brute next year. This will give them the 650 brute sra, the 750 brute, and the new (800? brute EFI)?

Arctic cat who used both of these companies engines and trannys will now make their own engines at their own plant, they will drop the twin 650 for 2006 and sell the H1 instead, and will soon be making their own 500's etc...

So from what I've seen..it could be true....no more sharing?

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone think that these companies will stop with 800~850cc quads? Or will they continue the path to the "biggest Baddest" quad competition eventually ending up with 1000cc quads?

Old 11-27-2004, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

anthing over 800ccs is called and classified as an OHV vehicle like Mule or a Rhino stuff like that