Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Thumb throttle streetbike??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumb throttle streetbike??

Is it possible, cause id love to have one except i hate twist throttle. If so do you think it would be hard to do?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

i'm sure it would be possible but why would you ever want one?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

You might have to stop every few miles because your thumb is cramping up.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

i get the same question and statement all the time. im not used to thumb throttles nor do i care to get used to them. ive riddne quads all my life therefore i have and good strong thumb(i can ride for hours) thus why i want a thumb throttle. still sound idiotic?

Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

dont most streetbikes have 4 carbs though?? that would be killer on any thumb i would think.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

i think the new street bikes are fuel injected...

Old 04-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

yes the honda's are fuel injected it's on the site look at the 1000rr. so with this stated as a fact. Anybody with some common knowledge of streetbikes and atvs....IS it possible and how hard would it be?

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motorcycles are a whole different animal. The twist throttle works much better on bikes since you only have one front wheel. The two fronts on a quad transfer a lot of impact to the bars. In turn, it can get harder to control a quad because the same hand you need to grip the bars and control the bike also controls the throttle. Bumps and ruts, etc can cause you to give the quad more or less gas despite your best intentions. On a bike however, the one front wheel transmits any impact pretty evenly between both side of the handlebars, and you have your left arm to control the bikes direction, while your right can control the throttle and still help out with turning etc. Honestly, the twist throttle is a very natural motion, natural feel to it. On a bike, it is much less tiresome over the long haul. If you get a bike, just give the twist a couple of rides to win you over, soon you will realize how silly a thumb would be on a bike.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Why would fuel injection matter, my last sport bike was EFI, but it still had throttle plates, as does my current CBR900RR...they're about the same, there's alot of spring pressure tryin to pull them shut....AND - Most roadbikes have a Push/pull cable set-up, so that would make it a little more difficult to convert..

Old 04-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

thanks ps94. despite what feels natural for others i want thumb throttle. im not particularly interested in your thumbs lack of endurance. or is it lack of control, you just have problems controlling the quad with a thumb throttle? this is my preference and you guys have nothing to offer except deconstructive criticism. despite your abilities i am able to use the thumb throttle as a luxury opposed to the twist throttle.
basically i am not looking for opinions on why i shouldnt do it, i just want to know if its been done, and if someone with common knowledge could point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Thumb throttle streetbike??