Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

White smoke from LT230S

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke from LT230S

I just bought an LT230S that was not running for $300. I rebuilt the carb and everything fires up quickly. I am getting white smoke out of the pipe and the Suzuki Dealer told me that I needed to replace the top end. I realize that I am burning oil, but that mean you need a new top end. By the way, the oil drain plug was stripped and I had Suzuki put in a Helicoil to make the old plug work. Any chance that they tilted the machine and oil got into the piston cylinder area? I am trying not to spend another $300 in replacing and boring the top end. If I have to, then I will. Kory

Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I would recommend rebuilding the top end. You can probably get away with just honning it out and buying a new piston kit. honning jobs are not exspensive at all. A shop up the street did mine and did't even charge me. e-bay has piston kits all day for cheap. I get mine from www.rockymountainatv.com for about $50 (every where else runs normally about $70). you could probably have a new rebuilt top end and not even spend $100. Good luck !!

Old 08-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response. I looked at that website and the piston kit is about $70.00. I will buy that and see if that solves my problem. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

sorry man, my bad I gave you the wrong site. go to www.midwestactioncycle.com they are the ones with the inexspensive piston kits. theres do run about $50. sorry for the mix up.

when their site comes up you will see a quick find in the right top corner it has a lightning bolt next to it type in 4382M06600 that should take you directly to it.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah check out your piston, youll need at least new rings, if not just but a wiseco piston kit. it was less than 100 bucks for my rebuild, including gaskets, sealant, piston, rings, etc..

Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do I need to have the cylinder bored or did you just put a new stock piston and rings in. Thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

I just had my cylinder honed out at a local machine shop, my experience with 4 - strokes is that you replace the piston and rings and hone the cylinder and it is like a brand new top end. the only time I would bore is if I was hunting for more HP. but my CR ( it being a 2 stroke ) I bore it. considering you stated in a prior post that you didn't want to spend alot I would just hone it, get a new piston kit ( standard of course) and save my money. it will be like a brand new engine !

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

depends, my piston ring was slightly offsided on my piston making small marks on the wall, so i decided to just hone it out to 67mm and drop in a 67mm wiseco piston, the whole setup cost me less than 100 bucks easily. the stock cyllander is 66mm, wiseco has that as well.

if you want to go for lowest cost, but some new rings and replace them, hone out the cyllander a bit

intermediate cost would be to get some aftermarket pistons (lighter, stonger, more power for similar cost) and have the cyllander honed either to match teh 66mm stock or you could go up to 68mm. in 0.5mm increments

on the pricier end, theres a big bore sleeve kit i saw out there the other day, its like 250-300, includes a whole new sleeve, and i think the pistons and everythign you need. it requires resleeving the head however.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

The smoke really should be more blue than white. Because normally white smoke is coolant, but since you are air cooled this is not possible. You may want to make sure you don't have water in your air box or crankcase (grey milky oil). Also think about replacing the valve seals while your working the top end, alot of time they will crack if left sitting too long.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

chewy just said what I was thinking. Do these quads have any sort of pcv(positive crankcase vent) or similar venting? If so and it's plugged it could be building up crankcase presure and causing blowby.I worked on one of these quads for a friend. I saw the water bead in bowl after I took it apart, and sarcasticaly asked "So how did you clean the carb, put it in a bucket of water and scrub?" He just shook his head and said yea. He was totally serious. With proper maintainance those quads last forever.

Quick Reply: White smoke from LT230S