Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

dang those kq owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dang those kq owners!

I am jealous of all of you that have one. I have an 03 prarie 650 that I really like but i would like to try something with irs so I went to the dealer and rode one. VERY nice package of power, handling and ergonomics similar to my prarie only a much smoother ride and i was suprised by how smooth the engine was for being a big single. Then I rode the new 700 efi sportsman sitting next to it. I got one word for that, C R U D E! but we wont get in to that. Does anybody have any real complaints about theirs before i go into stage 2 of wife persuading(stage 1 was just mentioning the thought) I do most of my riding in the woods with lots of snow on the ground climbing hills and having fun and relaxing trail riding. I am quite fond of my prarie and want to make sure I am actually upgrading with the kq before I part with it. thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

I have had a KQ for about 6 months now. I have a little over a 1,000 miles on it. I am very satisfied with it. I have let several of my friends ride it and they really like it also. I did do some damage to it last weekend. I was riding some racing trails and nicked a tree. It bent the right tie rod but I adjusted it to compensate until I can buy a new one. But other than that I have had no problems. I have rigorously tested the reverse out on this baby and have not had any problems. This includes backing up steep hills, spinning out and pulling in reverse. And its still going strong

Old 09-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I had my heart set on a Rincon, lightweight with excellent suspension and handling were my main priorities so I figured it was the machine for me. I knew it was down on power to everything else. I was test driving them (used since they are rediculusly expensive) and the dealer all but forced me to ride a new King Quad. Long story short I own that very same KQ today. The KQ suspension is AWSOME for me just the right mix of sporty and comfortable. I think the Rincon still edges it in handeling but it is only by very little and the KQ has so much more to make up for it.

What struck me on the test ride is just what you said--refinment. I can not believe how smooth, comfortable, ergonomically correct, and well designed it is. Riding back to back with a Grizz today it stuck out even more. The Grizz also has great suspension but the first 2" or so is too "rolly" to me. The seat is nice but the sidepanels dig into my legs and the handlebars feel like ape hangers. It is every bit as capable as the KQ but the KQ is so much smoother and refined. Overall power was about the same but the KQ feels like a Grizz with a clutch kit--it can just put the power to the ground so much better. The KQ revs quicker too.

Worth every penny and no regrets.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also owned a new 2003 Rincon for 2 yrs,and now own a new KQ with 1000 miles on it..The KQ is 3x the ATV that the Rincon is and now, owning the KQ,I dont miss a thing about my Rincon..

Except for the 0-9mph lag from start,I like most everything about the KQ.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

Have any of you replaced the factory KQ plastic skid plates with aftermarket aluminum plates? If so please provide details such as:

- brand
- price
- opinion of overall quality including fit and finish
- place of purchase

Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies everyone, ive had some of the same experiences myself. My uncle has a rincon and ive ridden it plenty and just could not get to like it especially with that weird tranny. Several months ago i rode a grizzly and I liked it but it was a bit loud and a little tippy like one of you said. During my ride on the kq I drove it on a side hill to see how stable it was and to my suprise it felt as stable as my prarie. thats nice! Any good tips on how to convince a stubborn wife?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sweet650
Thanks for the replies everyone, ive had some of the same experiences myself. My uncle has a rincon and ive ridden it plenty and just could not get to like it especially with that weird tranny. Several months ago i rode a grizzly and I liked it but it was a bit loud and a little tippy like one of you said. During my ride on the kq I drove it on a side hill to see how stable it was and to my suprise it felt as stable as my prarie. thats nice! Any good tips on how to convince a stubborn wife?
Good jewelry seldom fails.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned several ATV's and I might say that the New KING QUAD,is the best so foar. I just sold a Rincon,2003 model. Transmission was faulty. I might add that I bought the Rincon because of the Tranny,no belts,etc.etc. But as I and some of my other friends found out,all is not well with the Honda auto tranny,it slips,disengages,grinds,too many things to go wrong.All the Rincon nuts on ATV Owners,will castrate you if you post any anti-Rincon inflamatory threads.Honda makes some good products,like the Foreman,but the Rincon was a engineering mistake.No low range,no locking diff.,no Fuel Injection,and a tranny that will eventually give you a problem. The cost to fix is astromical!When I bought my new Rincon,the dealer said to me:"Don't you want the extended warranty"? I asked why,and he said that the transmission could go out and it would cost a amall fortune to fix it!! I should have asked for my money back then.. I really like Suzuki products,and will not stray again.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

Pilotnut brought up another point I forgot to ask about concerning aftermarket skid plates. the one i rode had a full set of aluminum front and rear bumpers,skid plates, and brush gaurds and seemed to be of high quality and looked like it belonged on there. I can find out which brand they were and a price if you want. they would have been ordered through the dealer. Since i ride in the woods alot, I would be a little concerned about the cheap looking plastic front bumper and grill. I dont ride fast or run into trees ever, but if a branch got in the way it seems as if it might cause some damage. Has anyone had this problem or are they stonger than they look? Reason i ask is because I wont be able to afford aftermarket bumpers for a while.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I paid $244 delivered for front and rear bumpers, (steel, not aluminum). I put the bumpers on because I had seen two KQs with mangled front plastic; one from trail riding and the other from running into the rear of another quad.

Quick Reply: dang those kq owners!