Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Aftermarket KQ Air filters May be the best option........at this time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket KQ Air filters May not be the best option..........at this time

With all the talk of the need for an aftermarket filter, I went out and looked
at the air filter in my new KQ with 107 miles on it. I'm not all that impressed
with the Uni or the Twin Air as I believe the OEM paper is more efficient, if it's
allowed to do its job

Check this site out...... they tested all the popular filters including the Uni
and K&N product and the OEM paper was superior. This was a very well done
independent test.....
Click here: http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

I really think the best option for us is greasing the upper and lower seals
and then making sure that the wing-nut screw is really tightened to firmly
press the top and bottom of the filter against the airbox plastic.

MAJOR EDIT........

INTERESTING STRING..... HOWEVER I'VE EDITED THE TITLE AS I'VE ORDERED AND
RECEIVED THE UNI AIR FILER.

It is a superior product and the fit is 100% coverage for the air box opening.
I think that the Uni is a perfect solution.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Aftermarket KQ Air filters May not be the best option..........at this time

I have been saying that all along...

Here is another test...The results in order of best filtration performance are: Paper, K&N, Amsoil (foam)

Filter test

Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: CBF2
I have been saying that all along...

Here is another test...The results in order of best filtration performance are: Paper, K&N, Amsoil (foam)

Filter test
Thanks for that site......

Old 12-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Looks like Suzuki is coming up with a foam filter for the KQ !! That rumor come from a suzuki dealer near by Montreal.

I am not discussing the study but I have seen a lot more foam filter on application running in very dusty environment , dirt bike, dirt track racing , and most of the ATV to name a few .

Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: baveux2
Looks like Suzuki is coming up with a foam filter for the KQ !! That rumor come from a suzuki dealer near by Montreal.

I am not discussing the study but I have seen a lot more foam filter on application running in very dusty environment , dirt bike, dirt track racing , and most of the ATV to name a few .

Maybe the Suzuki folks have been reading the forums......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

What they are going to do if they read the study [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:

Old 12-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

"This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel."

You are not testing the SUZUKI KING QUAD AIR FILTER. Buy comparing air filters for a duramax and saying that "paper filters are better than foam" is a generalized blanket statement. If the test was of a King Quad paper filter, then it would be relavant to our machines. My filter was dirty on the inside, yet clean on the bottom seal. Wouldnt that suggest a good seal and a bad filter? Thats what my dealerships sales manager and service manager and the Suzi rep all thought, along with the rest of the mechanics in the service dept, and they have had SEVERAL machines in with this problem.

All paper filters are not made by the same people in the same factory with the same specifications from the manufacturers. I would be willing to bet that if you took a close look at the DURAMAX paper filter and compared it to the KQ paper filter, they probably look different and might even be made to different thickness', as well as surface area per cfm air intake.

I would suggest that you test a KQ paper filter to the duramax paper filter and I seriously doubt they would even be close. In general, a paper filter is probably better than a foam filter, but not on a king quad. The fact is, KQ's with factory paper filters got dirt ingestion problems and those with foam dont. Just because YOUR machine hasent sucked in dirt dosent mean it wont or that there is not a problem.

If you check your intake for dirt after a full day of riding and you sucked in dirt, its too late, you already harmed your engine...The paper KQ filter is not worth the risk!!!

If the problem was simply the seal, why dosent Suzuki simply send out a 3 oz tube of grease and some extra washers and resolve it? The problem must not simply be the seal, because if it was, they could fix the problem for less than what it costs to rebuild one engine. Of course, we can never under-estimate the thought process at Suzuki these days.

----------------

Old 12-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Speaking English I would have said the very same thing !!!

Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with minigun, while the paper filters generally provide better filtration for automobiles, the one on the KQ obviously hasn't so I don't think this test is going to make anyone keep their stock junk filter, they let a lot of dirt in I've seen this firsthand...the KQ's filter is entirely different than a truck's.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default Aftermarket KQ Air filters May not be the best option..........at this time?

The forums have been great in detailing the issues regarding the paper filters.
Since I don't have the mileage to validate the complaints with the paper filters,
it only seems prudent to listen to those who speak with experience.

I ordered my Uni-filter today.......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Aftermarket KQ Air filters May be the best option........at this time