Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swingarm bearings

Hey guys, i posted this in the suzuki forum but have been reading this post and WOW! Wish i could have found this a few weeks ago. Just picked up an 86 lt230s for 130$. I need to replace swing arm bearings. What parts are essential for rebuilding. I know bearings are, but All ***** has kits on ebay with additional pieces. Some have just bearings and others have dust seals and teflon something. Thx for any help.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would get the kit with the dust seals. Any retail website (motosport or partzilla,etc) shows a breakdown of the parts needed.The more you can replace,the better. I will probably be replacing those myself as swingarm play is a prime reason for a thrown chain. If you don't have one...get a case guard!! Mine was $27 on eBay.

I emailed Vince's Cycles,who made aftermarket stuff for the Quadsports but got no reply. Not sure if hes still in business. He has/had some nice stuff.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Same here. I emailed about case saver and a few other things and never got a response. Thanks for the help chipper. Next question,i bought this quad for my boys to learn how to use a clutch, i am replacing chain and sprockets, what would the recommended sprocket set up be to where they dont always pull front end up but yet i can rip on it and have a little fun. If thats at all possible. I only redone rings, new valves and seals and thats it for top end. All is stock

Old 09-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not 100% sure on the sproket set up.I'm replacing mine,too and starting with the OEM tooth counts (which i don't remember,off the top of my head ...14 front,39 or 40 rear?). I figure if I need to adjust, I know where i started from.
Check Youtube for sproket set up videos. Sometimes you find good stuff on there. I've found the best videos are the poorly shot ones made by some good old boy in his garage! Those guys actually ride,rather that some corporate spokesperson.
Post any good info you find and some pix of your progress.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

According to oem parts fische on rocky mountain atv, 12/41 is the stock sprocket set up. I thought about going to 11/41 for trail riding.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt230E/H

Hey guys, is there a thread for the quadrunners? I search it and get nothing. My buddy has an 87 lt230eh quadrunner and he put a new battery in it and a week later it was dead. Took it to a shop and they said his charging system was fine, so they charged his battery and again dead a week later. Any thoughts? I was thinking a short somewhere maybe a bad ground. If you could help or tell me where to post this question. Thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hey guys!

Hey 230 thread!

I used to be tomgodair on this thread but I couldnt remember my info. The quadsport is almost done! Just bought a durablue posi lock nut and installed it. For the swingarm bearings, drill a grease zerk hole and install one. Purchase inside seals a long with the outside seals that come in the kit. Purchase a new bolt/swingarm shaft. Use loctite 680 on the bearings so that they dont spin. Drill holes in the center swingarm spacer so that the grease can lube the new swingarm bolt. I recommend varrying the holes all around the spacer so that you get good lubrication. Also, make sure you sand the inside and outside of the spacer so that you remove any metal burrs. Let me know if you have questions.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also recommend purchasing an lt250s bolt. Its about 1" longer but it allows you to add a washer on the bolts head side. You can also add washers to keep the space. I personally feel that the 230 bolt cuts down to the threads too early on the bolt and it makes the bolt wear faster and causes swingarm play. When i put the 230 bolt in my frame the left side was lose, but when i put the 250s bolt in my frame, the bolt seamed nice and tight.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so i got the rebuild finished with new shindy valves,valve seals,new oem rings, cleaned entire carb new throttle cable. Fired it up on about the tenth kick. So, now its the swingarm. I noticed i am missing one bolt in the carrier to tighten chain. Anyone know what size bolt it is. I know i can get one from rocky mt but 7.00 is a lot to pay for shipping when the bolt is 2 bucks. I got all new bearings andcseals and spacers, and i will add the grease fittings.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Our local Lowes has a gauge in the hardware isle that tells you what size bolts are. Then you can get a three pack of the size you need for about 50 cents. they MIGHT have a grease fitting,too...but don't hold your breath. If worse comes to worse....I'll have one on the parts bike I got...Lemme know.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.