Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

If I thought it would help, I would drill even more holes in my airbox.... I was looking the other day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

The trails I ride on here, I cross water all the time and even my air box lid has mud on it.. Your running an open air box!!?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I have the 10 pilot in. It runs at least as good as the 12.5 and possibly better. For the first time ever I can actually turn the air screw out too far! Every other time I could just turn the air screw until it fell out and it will run better with each turn. Now, I'd say I'm about 2 turns out.

My light works great! I'm impressed. Quad runs great! I got the oil leak fixed (finally). W/o a manual, you wouldn't believe all the crap you have to go thru to get it to stop leaking. RTV has to go on all the bolts as well as the mating surfaces. Careful not to get any RTV on the cam bearings when it gets torqued down either! It will squeeze out and get on the bearings!

Next step is to cross reference the needle I'm using and order a one-step leaner needle. I'm just curious. Other than that, my carb is done. Plug looks good, it runs great, starts 1st kick,,,, what more can I ask?

I also need to get a 37 tooth rear sprocket (hopfully for less than 50 bucks - ouch). .... and some front shocks.

PG, do you really think I should unload 300 bones on a set of works???? Even if I can get a set of 250 shocks for $40? (I love the 250 shocks - like riding on a magic carpet thru the trails - compared to mine is like riding an old log wagon)</end quote></div>

Having never ridin a 250s I have nothing to compare it to. Ridin several 230s with stock, and works, several 400ex's with stock and works, and a couple atc 250r's..Which ride like a dream factory stock, add works rear= wet dream.....
Don't lie, right now your flying 45mph down a trail with stock shocks, a couple of 4in tall rocks come up, you try to avoid it, go over it, just don't hit my front wheel!!!!!!!!! With the works it feels like you ran over a empty Budweiser can..

If i could go back in time (2/1/2007 to be exact) I would have left my .60? over engine the same and added the Works Shocks, new plastic, skids, 6 pack rack and called it good.. I can't believe I got as deep into this **** as I have over a tiny lil oil leak!!!!!!!!!!! But NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to start screwing around with stuff..... which was no big deal when I had parts bikes,and full engines just laying around, scored a couple big bore kits, cams etc......pre theft.......

But I have left what I have left, AND IT MAY BE LATER THAN SOONER, but I will make it work... And you all will help whether you want to or not![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Sorry boys, but I am a lil fired up tonight.. read back, or look in other forums, everybody that ever owned a 230s loved everything about it, except suspension. "great engine, one kick, suprising power, keeps up with bigger bikes, very reliable, suspension sucks, chain came off syndrome"

Randy you are much handier than I, I bet if you took a 230 front spring, cut 1/4 of it off, then cut a spring that was same diameter, but less stiff, and put it where the 1/4 is missing, you could replicate the Works shocks ride...Dual rate!!!!! Think we did the same kinda trick in high school, on a baja bug..........

well, I guess I' let ya all get back to the great jetting debate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Once again made an azz of myself...........

Old 12-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I ain't done pretending I have a clue yet.............

Mjlar, read the links Randy sent, EVERYTHING you do affects something else. from what I have read (once again, I don't KNOW ****) if you change the cam, change the timing chain, all chains can stretch... possible your timing chain has skipped a tooth??? tensioner not holding?? thowing off the timing???

Yes I am grasping for straws...... Maybe think of the basics (KISS method, keep it simple stupid) Sorry but i keep coming back to the cracked boot (falls under the basics) Kinda like a doctor treating the symptoms, not the cure.........If air is coming into the air fuel mix someplace it is not designed to come in, it must be bad..... Change all the jets u want, but the "cracked boot" will NEVER let you get it right. Its air flow will change with every jet change.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

The trails I ride on here, I cross water all the time and even my air box lid has mud on it.. Your running an open air box!!?</end quote></div>

I cross a little water here n there, but it never rains here so most of the streams are dry. I usually slow down and try to avoid all the water.

I have an open lid and I would drill holes in the side if I thought it would help any. I have a KN filter too. Those filters flow the most air.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Having never ridin a 250s I have nothing to compare it to. Ridin several 230s with stock, and works, several 400ex's with stock and works, and a couple atc 250r's..Which ride like a dream factory stock, add works rear= wet dream.....

Don't lie, right now your flying 45mph down a trail with stock shocks, a couple of 4in tall rocks come up, you try to avoid it, go over it, just don't hit my front wheel!!!!!!!!! With the works it feels like you ran over a empty Budweiser can..

If i could go back in time (2/1/2007 to be exact) I would have left my .60? over engine the same and added the Works Shocks, new plastic, skids, 6 pack rack and called it good.. I can't believe I got as deep into this **** as I have over a tiny lil oil leak!!!!!!!!!!! But NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to start screwing around with stuff..... which was no big deal when I had parts bikes,and full engines just laying around, scored a couple big bore kits, cams etc......pre theft.......

But I have left what I have left, AND IT MAY BE LATER THAN SOONER, but I will make it work... And you all will help whether you want to or not![img][/img]

Sorry boys, but I am a lil fired up tonight.. read back, or look in other forums, everybody that ever owned a 230s loved everything about it, except suspension. "great engine, one kick, suprising power, keeps up with bigger bikes, very reliable, suspension sucks, chain came off syndrome"

Randy you are much handier than I, I bet if you took a 230 front spring, cut 1/4 of it off, then cut a spring that was same diameter, but less stiff, and put it where the 1/4 is missing, you could replicate the Works shocks ride...Dual rate!!!!! Think we did the same kinda trick in high school, on a baja bug..........

well, I guess I' let ya all get back to the great jetting debate.[img][/img]

Once again made an azz of myself...........</end quote></div>

Hey! That's a good idea.... I never thought of cutting the spring! I don't think the stock shocks have enough travel, but the idea is good! I found a guy that will sell me a set of 250 shocks for 40 + sh. I can send him the loot and hope he sends the shocks I guess.... Paypal anyway.... Maybe there is some security there...?

What you said about the beer can and works shocks really puts things into perspective for me. But I only have just over $1000 into this ride and I hate to add another $300. (probably like $20,000 if you count my time).

I'm pretty happy with the quad though. .60 over, 28mm carb, wider stance,,,, sure beats the **** out of the 05 250ex I have around here. I used to like the 250ex a lot. I will still fly thru the trails I have behind my house faster than anything else I've seen (only because the trails are so narrow). But now I can't stand the POS. It wont slide, wont wheelie, dont go that fast, almost flips over in a fast curve.... It sucks compared to my 230. But my 230 is STILL not as much fun as my buddy's lt250s because of the front shocks and bald rear tires. That thing is a ball! And you have to try real hard to wreck. My 230 is like a magnet driving thru a forest of steel,,, seeks out the nearest tree and heads towards it like a heat seeking missle. But with unlimited amounts of time and lots of cash I will one day have mine nearly as much fun as my buddy's $350 250! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm still stuck on the handlebars thing right now. I sat on it and discussed everything with a couple friends that stopped by..... If I replicate a turn by leaning to one side and turning the bars, I notice my outside wrist is cocked really sharp... So, I thought if I bend the bars back some I won't have to **** my wrist so much and that may make turning a little easier.

Another thing I noticed is the bars are so wide that, again, my outside hand is so far out in front of the quad, I cant lean as far over as I'd like to. So, I cut about an inch off each side and bent the bars back a few degrees.

I'd like to lower the bars a couple inches too.... Especially since I have lowered the rear end and raised the front end. I'll take it for a good ride tomorrow and report back my findings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, new quadsport owner here I think ? ! I recently got a quad that had extended A-arms and swingarm 2 inches. The thing needs serious work, like brakes, exhaust, plastics... they told me it was a 1998 motor on a 1986 frame.. As it sits now the motor is a four stroke and is only electric start.

I will TRY to post a picture to show u what I mean. If I KNOW what I have I will start modding it.

Name:  quad1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  55.0 KB

If ANYONE has any idea what I have here please let me know.... I KNOW its a frankenstien but the kid was sort of short on his answers.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats a 1989 or 90 lt250s quadsport with a really long swingarm and some funky exhaust. The swingarm and lower shock mount have been extended giving the shock a funny angle. Usually the extension is done after the shock mount. They only made the 250s for 2 yrs. Its a kinda rare find,,,, especially the way yours is, lol.

On my pics page you'll see a pic of my buddy's 250. He needs the rear fenders also. So far, the best deal he can find is $300.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

oh, btw,,,, welcome whitetalonb16g!!!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.