Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I just finished the system in my 2-seater truck. It consists of a $100 mp3 player and 4 6x9's for a total cost of $250. Good enough.... LOL.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I went to the recycler today......... No hope BigMc, they said BOUT year wait for your case with all the people looking for the same........ Asked If I have checked ebay.................................... You are screwed. Could almost buy a complete trike and part it out..............

But the UP SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a complete "top" for an 87 230s, for $40!!! It might be .40 over, and it is in killer shape... Who wants to buy a 260 kit???? with all the machining done???

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Well, I went to the recycler today......... No hope BigMc, they said BOUT year wait for your case with all the people looking for the same........ Asked If I have checked ebay.................................... You are screwed. Could almost buy a complete trike and part it out..............

But the UP SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a complete "top" for an 87 230s, for $40!!! It might be .40 over, and it is in killer shape... Who wants to buy a 260 kit???? with all the machining done???</end quote></div>

I haven't been able to do to much the last few days. My wife and kid both had the flu so between that and work....good news is they are recovered. I did send off my cylinder to KustomKraft to have it rebored and they will send it back with the bigbore kit as well. I also on the same day sent my camshaft to webcams and they are going to send me a new one this friday with the new springs and refund my core charge. new it's just ordering the 50 other "little" things to get this project rolling ahead.
I'm going to try to call Vince tomorrow and ask about the crank since like you mentioned Randy we will be throwing around a much heavier chunk of metal and could cause some horrific vibrations. I think you mentioned PG experienced this cause he posted about it along time ago and I remember something about he was using the 250's piston which made it around a 273 or something to that effect. Either way I have a feeling he will say it would be extremely wise to have it rebalanced.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

hows this for a deal on QUAD RUNNER 4X4
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/557289972.html

Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

I haven't been able to do to much the last few days. My wife and kid both had the flu so between that and work....good news is they are recovered. I did send off my cylinder to KustomKraft to have it rebored and they will send it back with the bigbore kit as well. I also on the same day sent my camshaft to webcams and they are going to send me a new one this friday with the new springs and refund my core charge. new it's just ordering the 50 other "little" things to get this project rolling ahead.

I'm going to try to call Vince tomorrow and ask about the crank since like you mentioned Randy we will be throwing around a much heavier chunk of metal and could cause some horrific vibrations. I think you mentioned PG experienced this cause he posted about it along time ago and I remember something about he was using the 250's piston which made it around a 273 or something to that effect. Either way I have a feeling he will say it would be extremely wise to have it rebalanced.</end quote></div>

I called Vince today, ironically, lol. Finally got around to it. He actually remembered me from last yr... Anyway, short story is he can't balance a crank. He recommended a place called valacon (if I can figure out how to spell it I could look it up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] ). At first he was thinking balancing is not that big of a deal and suggested that my crank may be bent if I'm having bad vibration issues. Either that, or just the high compression mixed with a stock cam makes the vibrations and a longer durations cam would take care of that. Secretively, I still think there are balance issues because I know first hand the weight difference of a 66mm and a 67.5 mm piston,,, its big. I just didn't push it too hard with him tho.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He also said the fact that its a single cylinder engine makes for some degree of unbalancing anyway. A twin would balance and a single can never be.

Then, I started telling him about my plans with the 250 4wd and he got all excited about hooking me up with a "long rod" for my 230 crank. He said 2 identical bikes, but one with a long rod and it will be faster than the short rodded bike. Sounds good to me. Not only is it faster, but also lasts longer due to less rod angle and less friction against the cylinder wall. So, I'm game for the 4mm longer rod. Just need to figure out how long the cam chain needs to be for 4mm extra cylinder height. And, of course, need some type of adapter plate for the base gasket to add 4mm (maybe I can just use a bunch of base gaskets???).

I really think we're on to something with this long rod. It will increase longevity a lot and possibly add more power on the top end. The problem.... balancing! Damn. Thought I "might" be able to get away with an unbalanced 70mm piston, but add a longer rod too??? I'm going to have to find somebody somewhere that can balance the crank. Or at least talk to someone who knows... Coz I really feel in uncharted territory on this one.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/557289972.html</end quote></div>

That's an awesome deal. Buy it! I wish I could, but I'm like way too far away. Since it smokes, you get to tear it down and put in a .060 wiseco 230 piston and make a 260 out of it. And have unbelievable compression if you wanted to. Great deal.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/557289972.html</end quote></div>

Sorry, but I'm all excited about that quad.... LOL The lightest, smallest 4x4 ever made and it has 35 gears and has the same castings as the 230. Doesn't get much better than that! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

All the 230 pistons fit right on the rod too. I already verified that. If you could find a new sleeve for it and use the 72mm piston from the 273 kit, you'd have a 293cc MONSTER! 72mm piston and 72mm stroke! Mill the jug down to whatever compression you want. Got like 1/2 inch you can mill off if you want.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

To make mine run again, I'll need:

1)Pull cord w/ handle. 2)Ignition coil 3)Gas tank w/ cap. 4)Rubber carb boot that bolts to engine. 5)Airbox complete with lid and whatever else attaches to it. 6)All shift ***** or else the entire shifter assembly. 7)The plastic panel under the shifters and over the gas tank. 8)Wire harness, any and all that was in center on quad. 9)Upper rubber boot that goes over the diff-lock cable. 10)High/low/superlow cable. 11)Reverse cable. 12)Foot shifter cable (gears n,1-5). 13)Speedometer cable. 14)Rear hand brake cable. 15)Alternator wires. 16)any wires and their accompanying parts that come out of engine.

LOL, maybe I should just look for another deal out there and part this one.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Here's a link that shows how to balance a crank yourself. Statically, at least. http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/balance.htm

Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Here's a place in OH that balances steel cranks for $125. http://www.lakotaracing.com/crankshafts2007.htm

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.