Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Hi all!!

I just got a 1985 lt230s for free from my neighbor, it had been sitting in his back yard for 4 years. I cleaned it up, cleaned out the carb and it started and ran great. not to much missing, needs front plastics, new twist throttle, and shift linkage but the hardest thing for me to find is a rear shock the old one is blown. I was wondering what shocks work. what others fit...... Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jory230

well its started i added photos and heres a video of it running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SnnbvbttZQ</end quote></div>

Looks and sounds to be in pretty good shape!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Soming

Hi all!!

I just got a 1985 lt230s for free from my neighbor, it had been sitting in his back yard for 4 years. I cleaned it up, cleaned out the carb and it started and ran great. not to much missing, needs front plastics, new twist throttle, and shift linkage but the hardest thing for me to find is a rear shock the old one is blown. I was wondering what shocks work. what others fit...... Thanks in advance for the help!!!!</end quote></div>

Can't beat free! Now that you have it running, you'll have to hide it from your neighbor so he doesn't want it back!

eBay is going to be your best bet on finding parts. I have the most luck searching "suzuki 230". I would think you could find a rear shock for relatively cheap on there. 230 shocks will be the easiest to find.

Shifting linkage is going to be more of a pain though. You can buy a replacement from Bike Bandit but its $80 for it. A little steep if you ask me. Mine was sloppy too but I removed the e-clip on the inside of the lever, and then replaced one of the super thin washers with a slightly thicker one and that tightened it up enough for me. So maybe give that a shot before you drop $80.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Soming

Hi all!!

I just got a 1985 lt230s for free from my neighbor, it had been sitting in his back yard for 4 years. I cleaned it up, cleaned out the carb and it started and ran great. not to much missing, needs front plastics, new twist throttle, and shift linkage but the hardest thing for me to find is a rear shock the old one is blown. I was wondering what shocks work. what others fit...... Thanks in advance for the help!!!!</end quote></div>

Oh, and post up some pics!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Good weekend of riding, even though there was still snow on the trails, but I did have one casualty:

Name:  DSCN0520.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  230.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0521.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  200.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0522.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  182.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0519.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  223.1 KB

Are they a pain to replace? I didn't look at it too much since we left shortly after it broke. I already bought one off eBay for $16. Thought that'd be just as good as trying to fix it since it wasn't even round.

I was lucky though because it broke when I went to start it out on the trails. It must have been just about ready to go because I don't remember pushing on the handlebars particularly hard when I was kicking. But so it snapped about 8 miles from the cabin, however it only broke about 3/4 of the way. So I putted back to the cabin steering as lightly as possible and made it all the way back. As I was turning into the driveway though, it broke off the rest of the way and I just coasted into some brush. lol Thank god it didn't break when I was flying down the road or something the day before! I would have been SOL. At least I would have had my helmet and chest protector on.

The suspension held up awesome though. When I get a chance I'm going to pull those top bolts and see how straight they stayed and see if the holes elongated at all on me. I don't think they did, there was no slop. But WOW, those 250S shocks really do make a world of difference. I was very impressed.

I do want to try to move the upper shock mounts up though. When I try to power-slide with the travel over extended like that, it has a tendency to want to tuck and bicycle. The gravel was wet though so that didn't help much, but still. Maybe a little more air pressure in the tires would help too. I think I'm only running 3.5.

Other than that, she ran great! My cousin had his 250X up too and he can beat me in a drag (partially because I can't keep my front end on the ground), but I can darn near keep up to him wide open. I out ran him in the trails though, by a long shot! I give credit to the new front boingers and a-arms. Maybe some new sprockets in the future will help me with the wheelie problem.

Can't wait for summer!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Range Rover

atvman im glad you or your quad didnt get hurt out of that breaking...

i had a couple hours of riding also...was very pleased with the way my 230 rode...my main problem was keeping it running then getting it restarted when it died.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lOOtin LeNNy

atvman im glad you or your quad didnt get hurt out of that breaking...

i had a couple hours of riding also...was very pleased with the way my 230 rode...my main problem was keeping it running then getting it restarted when it died.</end quote></div>

Thanks, I was pretty darn lucky! Good to hear you got some riding in too.

Mine is sometimes fussy when it dies after its warmed up but if I give her a little throttle when I'm kicking, she'll usually fire right up.

Once I'm done with school and have more time on my hands, I think I'm going to tear down the carb and clean it to like new. Or just get a bigger one.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jory230

well its started i added photos and heres a video of it running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SnnbvbttZQ</end quote></div>

Looks and sounds to be in pretty good shape!</end quote></div>

thanks man i wasnt sure if there was anything wrong with it but there was air getting into the engine the rubber that goes from my carb to my engine was loose and it was really hard to start after i got that fixed 1-2 kicks and i was off[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Nice, I'm always impressed with how quick mine starts. Whenever its above -12 F, it always starts 1st kick! My cousin's 250X takes at least 5 when its cold.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Randy, did you find any motivation or time this weekend to finish yours off?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.