Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true, atv manuals typically don't recommend using RTV. Most good engine builders also say not to use it.... Not because of leaks, but because it ***** up, comes off, and plugs oil jets. DansMc says to use Yamabond or whatever its called. Motorcycle Repair Course The suzuki manual says to use Suzuki Bond 1207B.

Personally, I've been using rtv for years on both cars and small engines. Never had an issue. I use the black rtv and very thin amounts. If it squeezes out the side, that's the amount you wasted and what could fall off inside the engine. I suppose if I was in the business of fixin engines, I would use the right stuff, but for what little I do, I'm not worried.

I'm not sure what anaerobic sealer is. That would seem to be a two-part epoxy type thing that you'd have to mix to activate. Otherwise, since there is no air inside the tube, it would harden on the shelf at the store.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

All the anaerobic sealant that I have used is in a single tube, it's red in color. looks like red jelly....

Anaerobic sealant does not "harden" like silicone will, it will stay gummy to a certain extent.

I have learn a bit about the different sealants out there, when I took my first year of apprenticeship, but do you think that I can remember that far back.... lol

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

What's the name of the anaerobic sealer?

Silicon doen't harden either, it vulcanizes like rubber, hence the rtv (room temperature vulcanization). I guess that process involves oxygen or some element in the air.

Silicon works ok, but I agree there has to be something better out there.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

LOCTITE® 518™ Gasket Eliminator® Sealant 50 ml 518 Gasket Eliminator is a single component, medium strength, thixotropic, anaerobic sealant; it cures rapidly when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. 50 ml tube.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Looks like some pretty good stuff: https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNA...ile/518-EN.pdf

The only problem I see is it won't fill a large gap (bigger than .25mm), but that's not an issue with the nice smooth, flat surfaces of the 230 valve cover. Its stronger than rtv too.

Here's what I've been using: http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/82180.pdf

And here is the permatex version of the anaerobic sealer: http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/51531.pdf

Next time I'm at the store, I'll look for some anaerobic flange sealer and give it a shot.

Atvman, in light on this recent development, it would probably be prudent to change the "rtv" to something like "sealer of choice" or whatever you think it should be. Honestly, if we were talking I would just say "goop". Engines, roofing, fishtanks, windows.... Just goop it. "Goop" is descriptive enough, but doesn't have a product recommendation attached; thus, leaving the door open to further discussion on what kind of goop is best.

Anyway, thanks firstgen for pointing that out. Well done!

Old 05-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

No, anaerobic sealant will not fill a large gap, it is meant for close metal to metal contact, aka. manual transmissions, transfer cases, valve covers (on our quads) I also use that stuff for sealing the bedplate of an Ford 6.0 Diesel when I reseal them for leaking.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My bayou developed a leak one time. It turned out the gasket had hardened and was brittle. There was so much torque from pulling trailer loads of dirt around all summer, that the gasket surfaces by the driveshaft moved and broke the seal. I wonder which sealant would be best in that situation? I know rtv is pretty springy. How does the anaerobic stuff perform?

I ended up using the black rtv... so far so good.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

In that case, I'm guessing that the RTV is better, especially if the surfaces are moving.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I've been thinking about the common issues. Not sure where to draw the line actually.

The next most common problem is the steering stem. Seems everyone has had it break or has noticed welding which implies it had broken in the past. So, this should probably be right up there in terms of frequency with the CCOS.
i think i might beat this one to the chase and go and weld a nice beed on it before i get 10 feet in the air and the steering stem lets go with my luck it will

Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Figured you'd clean it up a little first.
I actually didn't even get a chance to read through it but I'm sure its fine!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.