Old 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a big sunfish!

Did you eat one yet?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to his girlfriend's parent's house, which happened to be on a farm and had a really small pond. The pond was small enough that you could easily cast right across it. Anyway, that pond had the biggest bluegill I've ever seen. And after only a few hours of fishing between the 2 of us, we'd have enough fish to feed everybody that night. Maybe 6 or 7 people.

The 1980's were among the best times to be a fisherman.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
That's a big sunfish!

Did you eat one yet?
That's a crappie!! And no, haven't had a chance to dig in yet.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to his girlfriend's parent's house, which happened to be on a farm and had a really small pond. The pond was small enough that you could easily cast right across it. Anyway, that pond had the biggest bluegill I've ever seen. And after only a few hours of fishing between the 2 of us, we'd have enough fish to feed everybody that night. Maybe 6 or 7 people.

The 1980's were among the best times to be a fisherman.
Our cabin is on a trophy bluegill lake. We've taken a nearly 2 1/2 pound bluegills out of it before! We used to be able to catch a bunch of tiny perch off the dock, but the last 5 years or so, they've vanished! Now we've had a two large mouth bass living around our dock. They've been there for probably around 5 years now, and we catch both of them at least once a year! Each year they put on a little under a pound. Last year when we caught them, the big one was over 5 pounds!

That Crappie in the picture is from a little lake very similar to what you described. Practically a pond on some farmer's land. One of those places that gets passed down a grapevine. The ones we were catching yesterday were quite a bit smaller, but still decently sized.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
That's a crappie!! And no, haven't had a chance to dig in yet.
Crappie, bluegill, and all those panfish belong to the sunfish family. So, in terms of any kind of panfish, what you got there is a big one.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Crappie, bluegill, and all those panfish belong to the sunfish family. So, in terms of any kind of panfish, what you got there is a big one.
Gotcha! You do a lot of ocean fishing where you are?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Our cabin is on a trophy bluegill lake. We've taken a nearly 2 1/2 pound bluegills out of it before! We used to be able to catch a bunch of tiny perch off the dock, but the last 5 years or so, they've vanished! Now we've had a two large mouth bass living around our dock. They've been there for probably around 5 years now, and we catch both of them at least once a year! Each year they put on a little under a pound. Last year when we caught them, the big one was over 5 pounds!

That Crappie in the picture is from a little lake very similar to what you described. Practically a pond on some farmer's land. One of those places that gets passed down a grapevine. The ones we were catching yesterday were quite a bit smaller, but still decently sized.
There is a particular kind of bluegill that is really big. When I get my pond finished, that's what's going in.

I was watching that "monsters" show on discovery and they were saying some of these really big animals (this show was about the giant hog) are the result of domesticated animals getting loose and surviving in the wild and mating with wild animals. Then they showed some guy here in GA with a pond and some mighty large bluegills. He feeds them hog or chicken feed (can't remember which, but its super high in protein). They said that animals that don't normally get a lot of protein begin to eat a lot of protein, they get really big.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Gotcha! You do a lot of ocean fishing where you are?
No, never been ocean fishin.

I used to fish lake erie a lot.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm about 3-400 miles from the ocean.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.