Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bashr52
Just installed a brand new plug, and tried moving the clip all the way up and down and there is no difference in the way it runs. Will only run from full to half choke, beyond that it dies right out at idle. Will still die with throttle no matter where the choke is. Ignition problem possibly?
I guess. Its a puzzle now. Try checking the ohms of the coils in the magneto. The specs should be on atvman's link.

The choke only works on idle. Its not really a choke, but a fuel enrichment circuit. You might try stuffing towels in the airbox to choke it at higher throttle openings... Just to see.

If you get a chance, post the markings on the needle. Main jet too.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
That hard landing one new? That was a HARD landing!

I'm going to have to look into those helmet cams. Pretty cool!
lol, yeah it was pretty rough. It really shouldn't be a huge surprise my pegs bent! Oh well, it was a blast and made for some sweet pics.

That helmet cam was $75 from Gander Mountain on sale!

EPIC Stealth Cam - Action Sports Video Cam

The kit came with a tree screw too so I can mount it in the tree when I'm hunting. That would be pretty sweet.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
lol, yeah it was pretty rough. It really shouldn't be a huge surprise my pegs bent! Oh well, it was a blast and made for some sweet pics.

That helmet cam was $75 from Gander Mountain on sale!

EPIC Stealth Cam - Action Sports Video Cam

The kit came with a tree screw too so I can mount it in the tree when I'm hunting. That would be pretty sweet.
Originally Posted by JustRandy
I don't know much about the transmissions, but it could be the linkage. Not sure.

3800 miles isn't much for a 20yr old atv. That's only 190 a year on average which works out to be about 1/2 mile a day.... Which is only 2640 feet.
3800 is nothing, we have a little over 4000 on our 2005 Outlander 400!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
Just installed a brand new plug, and tried moving the clip all the way up and down and there is no difference in the way it runs. Will only run from full to half choke, beyond that it dies right out at idle. Will still die with throttle no matter where the choke is. Ignition problem possibly?
Have you tried adjusting the idle and mixture screws on the carb? I think everyone on here says the mixture screw should be 2 turns out.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

bashr52, were you able to find the wiring diagram in the vault?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
bashr52, were you able to find the wiring diagram in the vault?
Yes found the diagram, and someone hacked new lights onto the front and got the wires all messed around for the kill-switch and voltage regulator. Got that straightened out now, although there is no dimmer switch so I had to work around that.

I found something else out. If you remove the elbow from the airbox and look into the carb itself, there are 2 holes on the bottom lip of the carb, and one farther up on the right side. If I put my finger over the hole on the right (highest one up) and rev it, it works! Even with the choke off. It breaks up a tiny bit in the middle, but will fully rev. I can work on the breaking up if I can get this other thing figured out. What is that hole for? I looked in there and it appears there is a brass sleve inside, but the hole is open.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That hole is for the choke I think. If you put your finger over it, the choke won't work.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

The holes in this carb are different than those in that manual. The hole in question is right below the choke hole. I sprayed some carb cleaner in it, and it comes out the hole where the needle valve goes into it. It may be an air mixture hole for the needle jet circuit? Something is screwy with this carb, it doesnt look like that one, but still has the 22A00 stamp.

Needle is Y137
Main-112.5
Air-20

Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

No, they're not the same carbs, but the theory is still the same. I don't have a carb to look at or I could just go do that. Not sure why air would need to come out the needle n seat area.

On the aftermarket mikuni roundslides there is an airscrew that meters air to the needle jet. Then there is a hole to feed air to the pilot jet. Then a hole for the choke. What else would you need air for? Air for the idle, air for the mid to top, and air for the choke. What else?

Your needle is a shindy replacement for the mikuni needle. Y137 rings a bell, its probably the right one. 112.5 sounds about right too.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The carb cleaner is probably coming out the seat area because that is where the gas is drawn from when the choke is opened. If you held the choke open and then sprayed the cleaner, it may come out 2 places.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.