Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it doesn't look like the cranks will swap. The S engine's rod bearing is toast. We found all sorts of stuff at the bottom. It was ugly.

So what are my options about rebuilding the S engine? Did I mention the stator cover(I think that's what it is called) is cracked and jb welded together?

The E engine will not bolt up and I really want a manual clutch/kick start anyhoo. Although I don't have a problem with electric start.

So what I am saying is....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

well for the crank, DEFINATLEY talk to vince @ vince's cycle. he knows 230's inside and out, and will rebuild your crank with top notch components (vesrah) for a very reasonable cost (i think my 230 crank rebuild cost me $145 in total. as a matter of fact, i had the same exact problem, a seized lower rod bearing.) hes also the nicest guy you will ever talk to.

for your sidecover, i'd jb whatever is cracked and make sure the chain never comes off again. get new front and rear sprockets (plain steel sunstars are great) new swingarm and axle bearings, new chain guides, and most importantly, a GOOD O-RING CHAIN. after that, keep your chain lubed and at the proper tension and you'll never have a problem again.

you also should get a case saver from vince. i think theyre around $20.

hope this helps

oh, and while you've got the engine apart, are you looking into any performance parts?

Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep. What do you suggest? And thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

oh man, i dont even know where to start haha!

i guess ill go from the bottom up.

theres no need for mods the bottom end on the 230, its already got a massive stroke longer than an ltr450's! having it rebuilt puts you in the best situation. next, comes the cylinder. you have 2 options; modest (fair price - .080"/2mm over = 243cc) or insane (pretty pricey - BIG = 273cc) the first should cost no more than $200 with a wiseco piston and will give you a nice boost in compression and power (pretty even gain all accross the powerband). the second option can cost up to about $400 and i cant even imagine what it would do power-wise. next comes the head. the 230's intake port is derived from a utility motor design and performance really wasnt in mind when it was designed. porting is a good idea and its free (just takes some time). some say you actually need to add material to improve flow. the member "justrandy" can help you out on that. next comes the cam. you have lots of options here. you could go with a stock LT250S cam, still available from suzuki. that gives a fair increase in power. also, there are a bunch of cams available from web camshafts and megacycle. once again, justrandy is the man with your answers on that subject. i still run my stock cam, and imo, its not too bad. now, exhaust. there arent many options for this, but there is a good one. steer clear of cobra, its cheap crap. DG makes a loud but powerful pipe called the "rcm" which can be picked up for a bargain at denniskirk.com (a complete system is only like $160). lastly, your carb. you can go for a 28mm flatslide (mikuni "TM") or roundslide (mikuni "VM"). thats probably your optimal choice. you could go to a 30mm, but thats where its starts to get real tempermental. people have run 32mm's before but thats only for seriously built motors. be sure to run a nice UNI filter when everythings done!

hope this helps

Old 07-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

This DG pipe on my 230 is just stupid loud and annoying. I don't have the stock system, and don't really want to buy one and loose what gains the DG pipe gave exhuast flow. I just want to quite the damn thing down. Does anyone know if something like this can be modified to work?

HMF QUIET CORE MUFFLER EXHAUST SUZUKI KING QUAD 700 750:eBay Motors (item 220431795097 end time Jul-09-09 18:50:55 PDT)

Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

maybe. talk to malhombre. he has some sort of fancy end cap on his dg rcm, maybe it quiets things down a bit, idk.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
This DG pipe on my 230 is just stupid loud and annoying. I don't have the stock system, and don't really want to buy one and loose what gains the DG pipe gave exhuast flow. I just want to quite the damn thing down. Does anyone know if something like this can be modified to work?

HMF QUIET CORE MUFFLER EXHAUST SUZUKI KING QUAD 700 750:eBay Motors (item 220431795097 end time Jul-09-09 18:50:55 PDT)
Randy had told me that if I was going to use a muffler not made for the 230, to find something made for a similar sized motor. I used a Supertrapp IDS2 originally off a Warrior 350 that I found on Craigslist for $50, like new.

You can see how I did it here:

Modify Exhaust from a Different Machine ?(Suzuki LT230S Vault)?

And you can here the end result here:

The resulting sound was very nice, but only loud when you wanted it. And being that it was a Supertrapp, the sound levels are adjustable to your liking. I'd highly recommend it.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Good weekend of riding up in Iron County, WI. Great trail system up there, although a little rough on the sport quad! I had some wicked bad arm pump by the end of the day. We left camp at 9:00 am, and didn't return to camp until about 7:30. In that time, we didn't hit the same trail twice, and only stopped for gas and lunch.

Beautiful area up there. Lots of fun!

We had a rough start though, when we got to the campground Friday evening, we decided to ride up and watch the sunset on Lake Superior. Well we got about a mile from camp and I look back to see no dad following me. I wait for a minute figuring he was putting on his sweatshirt or something, but nothing. So I went back to find him just parked on the side of the road.

We had changed the belt the day before and it didn't go smoothly or easily, but we got it on and it seemed fine. So my dad says, "Well, I guess we didn't get the belt on right, it runs fine, but won't go." So I head back to grab the truck, and on the way back, I spot a few parts littering the road. I stopped to pick them up and its most of a U-Joint. I bring it back and we look and the front U-Joint on the rear drive shaft had pretty much exploded. So, on a 4th of July weekend, when no parts stores are going to be open, we're screwed.

So I rode the last few miles to Superior and he just followed in the truck. When we got there, we looked on the back of the ATV trail map at all of the local supporting businesses, and spot an ATV rental place. But of course we had no cell service, so we had to just wing it the next morning. We head there, and the guy has one left, and the store wasn't open, he was just grabbing something for a friend, but he let us rent a 2009 Sportsman 500 HO. $250 for a day and a night, plus a $1000 security deposit that's returned upon the return of the ATV in one piece.

So then we're back off. We ride all day, no problems at all, then 1 mile from camp on our way back, at the sand pit my videos are from, he rolls it. Not just on its side, but all the way on top of the bars. AND not in the sand. It was on a buried piece of asphalt hidden under a spec of sand (Horrible placement and it really wasn't his fault he rolled)! He was trying to do a power-slide, hit the asphalt mid slide, and well, you know the rest of the story. So we get back to camp, and the side of its pretty scratched up, but no worse for the wear. And in a stroke of luck, my dad kept the guy chatting so he wouldn't notice the scratches, and didn't.

So it was an eventful trip, but a fun one! Here's some pics and vids:

Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Out on the trails.
Name:  DSCN1027.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  305.8 KB

40-50' tall railroad bridge!
Name:  DSCN1038.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  286.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1043.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1040.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  234.2 KB

Sunset over Lake Superior from Saxon Harbor, WI.
Name:  DSCN1055.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  83.0 KB

DVX in the firelight.
Name:  DSCN1058.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  148.2 KB

Potato River Falls
Name:  DSCN1079.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  232.0 KB

Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone want to trade their stock exhasut for my DG? Or buy my DG? I'm sick of it and would like to either go back to stock, or buy something quieter.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.