Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki 230...Running very rough - Any ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki 230...Running very rough - Any ideas???

I took the carb off and checked the float. Didnt seem bound or anything like that. The bowl was very clean and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I decided to take the carb in and let it warm up, never sprayed any carb cleaner throughout it. I put it back together tonight to see if that made a difference or not. It seemed to be running pretty good all in all, almost like the carb might have froze up or got some water in there. I had it only going for probably 10 minutes though and the pipes/engine area was extremely hot, seemed to be more than usual. Could this be from too rich/lean or something else? Should I be messing with the idle screw after the machine is warmed up or when it is cold? What is the proper way of adjusting the choke cable, tighten it until you hear it rev and then loosen it until you notice a difference and then put it somewhere in between? I dont want to be letting this overheat and end up with more problems in the end. It is gonna be getting warmer here in the next few days so I will really be able to know how it is running and if it was iced up in the beginning. Thanks for the help so far, I think I might be near the finish line with this one.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1988 250cc suzuki that didnt want to idle very well and I would take the carb off and clean everything on it and put it back on and long story short never would it act right. The other day my son was riding it and cracked the head on it so about two days ago I finished rebuilding it and it runs perfect. I never touched the carb when I fixed the cracked head I just reinstalled it. Sometimes these problems can seem so clearly one thing and be something else entirely. Anyway if you would like I could mail you a copy of the repair manual pages for the carb for your machine, its basically the same motor.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just thought of something else. If your air filter is not really bathed in oil good it will cause your motor not to run well. If your motor get air too freely, it changes the air/fuel mixture and your quad wont run well. Thats why when you buy like a K&N air filter you normally have to change out the jets in your carb because your getting alot more air. I read your post again about the motor being too hot (maybe) and I have not had one do that from being to rich or too lean. The timing can do that because the cylinder is burning the gas improperly with the exhaust valve being open or closed.