Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

king quad has lost power and speed. need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default king quad has lost power and speed. need help

my brother has a king quad 700 and it doesnt have the power it use to have. we think it is the belt. any suggestions on what it could be. it has new air filter in it. please help. thanks

Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

check to see if the belt is worn by taking off the cover and check youself if it is and you don't feel confortable doing it yourself then take it to a dealer.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

we have already done that and the belt doesnt look that worn at all. 4 of my buddies have king quads and it is doing the same thing to 3 of them. we cant figure out what is wrong

Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

dirty gas? corroded spark plug?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like yea better lay off the beer and pizza....LOL just kidding

I'd prolly check the rpm vs. a new quad....I just bought a tachometer that you just wrap a wire around the spark plug to install , that's it! dennis kirk sells them for like $50....

If you do get full RPM's and it is stlill slow then it must be in the tranny/belt area...IMO

Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

well then I would have to go with gas or a plug becuase if it is doing it to all 3 of them the gas from the station where you guys get your gas might be bad.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I noticed that mine had very poor acceleration and a lack of top end speed which felt like a plug fouling or a severly dirty air filter. I decided to take a look at the belt and such and it turned out being mud which had entered the belt area with water and had gotten into the wieghts of the front pulley. With the side cover removed and vehicle running I power washed the belt and pulleys until all water was clean coming out. Runs great now!! The weight system is very fragile and must be clean!! Hope that helps

Old 08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

How much of a loss of speed and power, like what's the top speed now it should be around 70-72? Sometimes the humidity can really rob the King of it's power as well but not a ton. How many miles do they have? the belt is recommended to be replaced at 1200 miles.

Do they have their stock air filters still? Is there blue smoke coming from the exhuast pipe. If so check the butterfly valve and see if there's dirt on it and if so this could mean your bro's KQ is in the need of a rebuilt b/c the stock air filters on the KQ's are junk and they don't seal properly...they need to be replaced with a uni or twin air oiled foam filter. Hopefully it's not this, it's just a suggestion, but I've heard of several King's that needed a rebuild due to the stock filter letting dirt and dust through, just like two days ago a guys was on here saying his was being rebuilt at the dealer due to the filter.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

I'm with Toyeboy on this one. If your belt looks good and you don't do much mud to get dirt in the clutch, there's a better than average chance your rings are shot. The stock POS airfliter let's dirt in and ruins your rings in short order.

Do you have a gauge you can check your compression with? That would tell you if the rings are your problem. If it reads low, definitely get Suzuki to pay for their screwup, even if out of warranty. They have a serious problem and still to this day have not addressed it. Lot's of threads on here and Nyroc with guys that have had this happen to them. Usually low power and some smoke. As long as you are in the know, Suzuki will fix it under warranty.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:07 PM
MJE
Range Rover

have you changed the oil for the first time? What does the belt look like? Checked your air cleaner/filter?

Quick Reply: king quad has lost power and speed. need help