ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   New Kenda Bear Claws on our Ozark (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/268997-new-kenda-bear-claws-our-ozark.html)

GrnXnham 06-19-2007 10:09 PM

New Kenda Bear Claws on our Ozark

We have two Suzuki Ozarks with worn tires.

I just got some Bear Claws for my wifes Ozark--size 22x12-9. The stock rear size was 22x10-9 so these are 2 inches wider.

I weighed them and found them to weigh 23 pounds each despite the bad info I found on the internet about their weight. One website said they were 20 pounds--another said they were 28 pounds! The stock rear tires were 16.1 pounds. Despite the weight difference, I didn't notice any power loss while test driving the quad in our yard and down our street.

Despite the aggressive appearance of these tires, I DID notice that the Bear Claws actually vibrate less on the asphalt than the stock tires. I'm guessing it's due to the overlapping lugs on the Bear Claws reducing the vibration. The stock tires don't have overlapping lugs and they are very loud and vibrate a lot on asphalt or hard packed dirt roads at high speeds.

Right now I'm running them at 4PSI. Haven't tested them in mud, yet. We need some rain! I kept the (worn) stock tires on my Ozark for comparison purposes. I'm thinking I might put the Maxxis Sur Trak tires on my Ozark just to be a little different.

When we replace the front tires, we will probably buy the same Dunlops again since it is the lightest tire we can find in that hard-to-find size (22x7-11) The front Dunlops only weight in at 11.1 lbs.

ctateusa1 06-20-2007 10:50 AM

I love the bear claws on my old 250 the work great.

GP_Rocks 06-13-2013 08:10 PM

Curious to how the 12" Bear Claws are working now? Has there been any rear axle issues or any problems like that. I am considering putting them on my sons Ozark 250, but they seem really aggressive and wide - The lugs are taller and the tire is wider than my stock outlander 500 rear tires... Let me know your thoughts and if you are still happy that the 12's are a good choice.

Andy Bassham 06-14-2013 12:03 AM

People around here ran those old 12 or 13" wide Carlisle Turfbusters from Walmart on Honda 250's and 300's for years and never had any axle problems. A 12" wide tire on the back of a 2wd of that class works out pretty well.

TLC 06-17-2013 09:34 AM

22x12-9 at 23lbs?
My new 6 ply 26x11-12 Maxxis Zillas with 1.19 " lugs weigh that much. Maxxis Zilla
They weigh 15 lbs in that size.

I had a 250 2wd Yamaha Moto4 and they turned 25" tires on the rear without a problem.
Dont look for wider so much as taller.
Taller tires give you more ground clearance and roll over rocks and logs easier because of the their larger rolling Diameter'

Wider will just help in flotation and will have more plow resistance through the goo, not as much of a advange as taller tires I think.
I,d get 25x9 vs 22x12 any day.