Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help decide which to buy new R450 or LTZ400

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help decide which to buy new R450 or LTZ400

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] OK guys I need your input on what is probably an old subject. Sold the Ozark 3 months ago and been waiting to buy a new quad to supplement my CRF450X when I feel like riding a fun comfortable quad on all day desert trips through mostly mule trails hard pack with allot of turtle head trails and river bed pumpkin patch. I have to decide as next Wednesday to buy either a new 07 Suzy R450 for $6200 OTD or a new 07 LTZ 400 for $5200 OTD. I am a long time 2 wheel dirt rider (in shape 50 years old) and like performance but love the reverse beer gear. I have owned a DRZ400 so I know the engine on the LTZ will be capable but concerned not very exciting on the fun side (why bought the CRF450X). The 450R sounds exciting in the power department with EFI but concerned about no reverse gear and a design that is meant much more for track then the trail and tight washes. I know you young guys would want the faster machine (so would I) but I also need a bloomers opinion. Should I spend the extra $1000 and get the modern high maintenance but exciting 450x? Or go with the tried and true, low maintenance, capable LTZ400 with boomer reverse?
PS does anyone know if this is the LTZ400's last year or will it go FI or completely new?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

there is a 450 shootout is atv action mag. here are there final comments.

being three inches wider, the suzuki lt-r is the best 450 for the trach, but its's the hardest to ride on tight trails beczause of its width. it won the mx prortion of the shootout hanily but was rated last for trail riding. the low-profile tires also hold it back more in deep ruts, which are the norm in GNCCs. if you ride mostly moto and maybe a little duning, the suzuki is the best choice. howveer, most privateers Mxers go with the honda, as it's a great starting point for ctreation the ultimate Pro-level sled. Hondas are leading the ATVA GNC MX and WORCS off-road series. Or, if you trail ride exclusively and arn't going to change anything, go Honda.

this is a very hard choice. i guess if you do some hard trails where you have to go very slow i whould pick up the z400. i dont knwo if it is a option for you but i have a raptor 700 and love it. i bought this bike because i do a lot of trail riding myself and the raptor engine love low to mid range rpms, but i also do a ton of desert riding (Glamis sand, and Hard pact deserts) and i can keep up with the 450s no problem there also.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. I have to get my P/U ready for the trip from BHC, AZ to Orange Co, CA to visit family and then make the buy Wednesday morning before heading back. The 700 Raptor sounds fast but I am concerned about the minimal front suspension quality (rebound only).

You were right about the 450R other reviews and rate it as a track only quad and poor in tight trails so its out of the running (too bad). I was even considering a TRX450e but I already have a high maintenance bike with the CRF450x and although more fun the a barrel of monkeys I want my next quad to have the reliability of my former DRZ400s like valve adjustments every 15,000 miles. Also the LTZ400 at $5200 OTD will allow me to spend some money on a jet kit and 6-pack rack (the basics). The other plus is that this model has a huge history record for reliability and after market accessories. I just hope that a 2008 model is not in the works to be presented this September with EFI and a larger displacment, that would bother me.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

I PERSONALY LOVE MY 400 AND IF I WERE TO BUY AGAIN I WOULD STILL BUY MY 400 I HAVE VERY FEW MODS TO MINE BUT PLANING TO BUILD IT SOME WITH RELIABILITY IN MIND MY FRIENDS 450 IS NICE LOVE IT TO BUT I'M MORE INTO THE BUILDING THE QUAD MY WAY AND WITH A LITTLE $$ THE 400 IS JUST AS OR FASTER THE A MILDING MODIFIED 450.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:55 AM
Trailblazer

Well I picked it up yesterday after visiting family in Orange County CA, at OTD Cycle Sports, a new 2007 white for $5175 OTD. Test rode it today after checking all fluids , only thing they didn't do was no oil on the air filter. The test ride was great and I was impressed with the power compared to my old DRZ400 engine, this engine is a runner for not being broke in yet. The only thing I was disappointed in was the front end handling was a bit harsh from side to side and was playing havoc on my right hand and open thumb trying to control the throttle with these 50 year old hand joints. As soon as I can I am ordering a twist throttle to give my thumb a brake. I haven't adjusted the suspension yet so I am sure once I decrease the compression dampening and increase the rebound that harsh stiffness should go away. I was a little undecided at first since they also had new 06 TRX450x"s on sale for $5675 OTD. Goodness know the X can fly circles around the LTZ, but I need reverse gear and I need low maintenance and reliability. Besides the X would be a bit much for family and friends who come visit once in a while and need something a little tamer. Anyway here it is.
http://shutter12.pictures.aol....Qv1+SY2kD8fmVP0300.jpg

PS- I looked at the 450r which was right next to the Z's and it looked like a pit bike in comparison, no way that cramped miniture could work for me that low to the ground and with those wide feet. But it must make an awesome track bike, but defiantly not a tight trail quad or rock climber, no way..

Old 08-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on your new toy...the Z400 is a great machine

Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

i feel you made the right choice ,i am surprised you did not mention the differences in the seats ,between the two, thats the one thing that i noticed first.
i know what you mean with the throttle when i first got mine i wanted to switch it to a twister ,some times i wish i had , i am now over 50 ,the problem i have is that my thumb will go numb .
a few mods will really wake that Z up ,not that you have to its just so much fun running a way from them 450's.

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

you made a good choice. I'm glad you didn't choose a craptor. I ride with a bunch of 450r guys and they all wish they had reverse. The $1000 you saved you can make the Z faster than a 450r and have reverse. Thats why I bought mine. I rode two craptors and after that, I would never own one. The quality of the raptor compared to the z is lacking. The 450r's are too stiff to ride trails for 40 miles like I do. On the thump situation, you can take the spring out of the thump throttle and it will be lighter. I put a twist on mine a while back and I took it right back off. It it dangerous when you are turning trying to modulate throttle. It was much better on slow trail riding though. It sits on my shelf collecting dust now. But anyway, congrats!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your comments. Its amazing how the bill runs up when you have to order a few necessary accessories.
(1) Armadillo six pack rack, ya got to have some storage $83
(2) Low pressure tire gauge, gave mine away when sold Ozark $5
(3) Streamline Twist Throttle, unfortunately I don't have a choice. They didn't make a twist throttle for the Ozark I sold and I have to get Cortisone shots in my thumb every time I rode more then 2 hours or my thumb joint would locks up either in the open or closed position but not in between. I am hoping with my dirt motorcycle experience a twist throttle will work for me. $37
(4) Maier ATV Hand guards, only ones I found that fit the and white color for the Z400 and you have to have then unless you like whacked fingers and hands $40
(5) NGK Iridium spark plug CR8EIX, one heat range colder then stock for here in the desert and a must have for reliability. $8.19
(6) License plate light kit $15. For street registration
(7) One threaded mirror $15. For street legal registration
(8) Horn and horn button $10. For street legal registration
(9) FMF jet kit $55. I have always installed jet kits on my carburetor motorcycles. Question to you all! What is the popular airbox modification in conjunction with this kit, or is there a cheaper alternative with just a jetting change /clip change and air box cut?
Total Cost about $270

Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

the most popular thing to do is just remove the air box lid ,you will have to re jet,as well an after market pipe will give some gains in HP . most riders are changing to a better air filter ,or if you really want to feel some gains ditch the box all together.
Name:  3-28-2007LS273.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  46.5 KB

Quick Reply: Help decide which to buy new R450 or LTZ400