ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Suzuki (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/)
-   -   convert shaft to chain (https://atvconnection.com/forums/suzuki/278230-convert-shaft-chain.html)

GALAXY225 11-28-2007 12:27 PM

convert shaft to chain

hi i am writing cause cause the suzuki motor i pick is shaft and i want to convert it to chain....i took shaft part off now what to to do?

TomM 11-29-2007 10:46 PM

convert shaft to chain

Turn motor 67 degree upside down left and and weld sproket to on to freestyle bycycle hub hub and bolt to onto back of starter out put shaft rod shaft with 7 13 millimeter bolts and apply elmers wood glue then put then motor back inside quad bike

GALAXY225 11-30-2007 12:00 AM

convert shaft to chain

funny you have jokes

GrnXnham 11-30-2007 03:18 AM

convert shaft to chain

What a PITA! Wouldn't it just be easier to just sell your quad with the shaft and buy one with a chain?

Oh, yeah. I guess that wouldn't be as much fun.

GALAXY225 11-30-2007 09:48 AM

convert shaft to chain

i am not a pita what fun is new new quad ? ya there nice to have but every quad of mine i brought back from the dead even to the suzuki i am try, i bought that motor from ebay thinking it would work...come to find out it goes to lt230ge not lt230 so there is were it is..........

BradW 11-30-2007 05:39 PM

convert shaft to chain

I'm not trying to be a d!ck, but your sentences are barely readable. There are enough people on here with horrible spelling and grammar, so at least try to make your posts coherent if you want to get straight answers.

GrnXnham 11-30-2007 05:59 PM

convert shaft to chain

I never said that YOU were a PITA--I said that trying to go from shaft to chain is a PITA.

What fun is a new quad? I don't know, I guess I'd rather be riding it than wrenching on it but different strokes for different folks. I see now that this is a project quad for you which can be fun for some.

Good luck going from shaft to chain. It should be an interesting project. You should post pics.

GALAXY225 11-30-2007 06:18 PM

convert shaft to chain

thanks as soon as i figure out how.......

Williebee 12-01-2007 06:41 AM

convert shaft to chain

If you really want chain drive instead of the shaft drive , it seem's to me like you could find someone would be willing to trade with you ; i know i would if i had a good chaine drive !

Run an ad with those 99 Cent trader magazine's you see in almost every store sell's them , it free for the seller or trader to advertise ; it only cost's the buyer .99 cents to see what's in it !

It cost's you not a penney to advertise , and if i'm not wrong it doesn't cost nothing to place an add ; there are alot of people who buy these magazine's so maybe you might sell or trade !..........

LT80 12-01-2007 11:14 AM

convert shaft to chain

Dude, you cannot change a shaft drive motor into a chain type.
Find a different motor to put in your frame. Then you will need a swingarm. Then you will pray all fits. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

zz8t 12-01-2007 06:26 PM

convert shaft to chain

why would you ever want to change from shaft to chain
shaft is awsomw

OhHell 12-01-2007 07:24 PM

convert shaft to chain

Dont know if a the quad you are talking about will work like this.
Many years ago I took a GS850 Suzuki motor and put on a go-cart.
So I needed to convert a shaft to a chain. It was really easy.
Suzuki used the same countershaft on their shaft and chain models.
The cases was all that was different. I took the gears out where the driveshaft bolts to and the gears on the end of the countershaft. Then took a dremel and cut the cases off and bought a sprocket for a GS750 and then I had a chain drive engine. Take a good look, your problem might have the same solution.

kwackermann 12-05-2007 05:01 PM

convert shaft to chain

That's what I was thinking- like the engine in the Lakota and the Prairie 300. They're the same engine but one is shaft and one is chain. Priate the parts from one bike to the other...............

Phillip Motahead Henderson 12-13-2016 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by GALAXY225 (Post 2472173)
hi i am writing cause cause the suzuki motor i pick is shaft and i want to convert it to chain....i took shaft part off now what to to do?

changing it to chain drive is fairly easy. take the cover off Around the shaft Output on the Engine. If the output shaft comes out of the side of the engine find a sprocket to fit it. You may have to mive the engine left or right to line it up with the swingarm. All shaft drive engines use the same case as a chain drive then a 90° gear box is attached. I've done this conversion several times over the years.

Tutamun Akhan Alkebulan 02-15-2018 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip Motahead Henderson (Post 3345723)
changing it to chain drive is fairly easy. take the cover off Around the shaft Output on the Engine. If the output shaft comes out of the side of the engine find a sprocket to fit it. You may have to mive the engine left or right to line it up with the swingarm. All shaft drive engines use the same case as a chain drive then a 90° gear box is attached. I've done this conversion several times over the years.

conversion from shaft to chain. On a Yamaha "style" ATV? Akuma 250cc has Yamaha 50 rear drive and axel set up. Identical swing arm. I found countershaft sprocket rear sprocket and hub. I need a swing arm match up along with bearings and stuff. What Yamaha maybe compatible with the raptor 50 axel? Or should I go banshee?

Tutamun Akhan Alkebulan 02-15-2018 03:54 AM

Did u get the ATV fixed?

Originally Posted by kwackermann (Post 2476646)
That's what I was thinking- like the engine in the Lakota and the Prairie 300. They're the same engine but one is shaft and one is chain. Priate the parts from one bike to the other...............

tell me about it

Tutamun Akhan Alkebulan 02-15-2018 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Phillip Motahead Henderson (Post 3345723)

conversion of shaft to chain. Could your help me with a Yamaha 50 rear axel conversion to chain? I was using a banshee rear sprocket for the teeth count. But I need a fitting swing arm bearings and hub. Could you know of any other quads they may have fitting parts?

merryman 02-16-2018 03:12 AM

Kids quad makers use chain drive because it is cheap. Yamaha use shaft drive because it is better. If you want chain drive, trade the Yam in for a cheap nasty Chinese bike.

Tutamun Akhan Alkebulan 02-16-2018 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by merryman (Post 3386025)
Kids quad makers use chain drive because it is cheap. Yamaha use shaft drive because it is better. If you want chain drive, trade the Yam in for a cheap nasty Chinese bike.

yea it is a cheap Chinese ATV. Akuma 250cc

Brockstur 06-25-2022 11:25 AM

Don't be the problem, be the solution..

Originally Posted by LT80 (Post 2474243)
Dude, you cannot change a shaft drive motor into a chain type.
Find a different motor to put in your frame. Then you will need a swingarm. Then you will pray all fits. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I live by the saying "can't lives on won't street" right next to "that's impossible and watch me!"
Telling someone that something isn't possible, when in fact ANYTHING is possible breeds no hope, in turn creates a situation where one will not challenge themselves.
I'm not familiar with your experience in fabrication, but mine is extensive, encompassing multiple industries over 40 years...if given the resources, technical data, and ability to work thru any and all obstacles, THEN Anything is possible.
. My peers like to say that I break steel and bend concrete...off course, would seem impossible to most until you have witnessed it. But before it can happen, you gotta Invision it, and work the problem.