Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 LT230 need help no spark

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 LT230 need help no spark

so i have a 86 LT 230 first quad i have ever had i got it for $800 needed motor rebuilt but came with all the parts to do so so i rebuilt it and im restoring it customizing and making a sweet race bike with it i made my own muffler for it that bumped horse power HUGE. and now after 28 hours of work into this bike it quit on me yesterday and its getting no spark i used to hang around a bike shop and we had this same problem with a LT 230 before but we couldnt figure it out and we didnt do the job. so anyone have this problem i have power coming out of the magneto out of the pink wire that palsing and not constant power and pluged it into the CDI [or that box under the gas tank im not sure if its a CDI] and there was nothing coming out of the wires going to the coil so i got a new CDI box and hooked it up and still nothing now theres no power coming out of the 2 blue wires that conect at that clip plug going into the CDI. so what im asking is is the problem my CDI [cause i got the new one used] or my magneto?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Check out the big 230 thread, there's probably over a dozen wiring diagrams in there that should help diagnose your problem. Just do a search for wiring diagram.

Post up some pics of the wheeler too!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Here you go:

Old 04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

oh i have been searching all day for that thanks so much man!!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Not a problem! Feel free to join us in the big 230 thread. We discuss anything and everything in there, and someone has tried just about everything, so its a great place to get questions answered!

Looking at the diagram, maybe its a bad pick-up coil if you've replaced the CDI?

Make sure to go through and check all the connections. I couldn't get my 230 to start for anything one day, and all it was was a wire that popped out of its connector. So if yours just suddenly stopped running, you might want to check that out.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

ok thanks man one last thing on the wiring diagram can you tell me what wires coming out of it are 12volt power and what are the ones that run to the CDI to make the spark?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure, I'm down at school so I can't go check on my wheeler which ones are making power, but maybe someone else will know.

So did the wheeler just stop suddenly or did it get progressively worse over time?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by atvman29
I'm not sure, I'm down at school so I can't go check on my wheeler which ones are making power, but maybe someone else will know.

So did the wheeler just stop suddenly or did it get progressively worse over time?
well it quit a few times and one kick and it was going. then it started spuddering when idling like you could just hear once every 20 sec it missed a fire. and then i was running it in the yard the other night and it just died like i went to push the gas and it just died. but it was raining so water could have got somewhere it shouldnt have been.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Weird. Well before you buy anything else, go through and check all the connections and grounds. That's what'd I'd do anyways.

So you said you're making it into a race bike, what have you done so far?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by atvman29
Weird. Well before you buy anything else, go through and check all the connections and grounds. That's what'd I'd do anyways.

So you said you're making it into a race bike, what have you done so far?
i made a custom muffler for it just took a 1 and 1/2 inch pipe and cut slots into in and put sheet metal into them and tryed about 10 different setups till i got the one that worked best it took it from being able to just clutch up a wheelie in first to being able to power wheelie it in third and im working on a custom intake im not 100% sure if ill go with a ram air intake putting open intakes up front for the air to be pushed in and have a filter father in the system or running a cold air intake system with just a 2 foot pipe with a big honken filter at the end. im a 15 year old with a welder and a good job that one day wants to be a car and power sports custom Fabricator and this is just a cheap project im working on to see how much power i can push out of the beast. took me 3 days to smoke the clutch with the pipe i made i just orderd a proformance clutch for it. and soon to be messing with the rear end fabing a bracket to lift it 1 to 2 inchs and putting a stuffer shock and spring set up on it. i have big dreams and im homeschooled so i have a lot of free time to so just tryen to keep busy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 LT230 need help no spark