Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 drive chain change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 drive chain change?

hey guys. I noticed my drive chain is getting loose again and I tried getting more adjustment out of it but I think its at its max. How do I go about changing the chain? thx in advance.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

look for a master link on it. if it hasn't got one you will need a chain breaker. new chains generally will come with a master link to make things easy.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

so I can just take a link or two out? I looked before and didnt see a master link. This is the stock o-ring chain from the bike. So I get a chainbreaker, do I need to buy a master link or how do I attach it back together after i took a few links out?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When you replace a chain, you replace sprockets. Both are wore.
get yourself some new sprockets and a good o ring or x ring chain (regina).
Yes, you'll need a chain breaker (I use a grinder) to get the stocker off.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think im going to try and just buy a half link and put it on my stock chain. Instead of having to getting a new chain. Is there a master link? or do I just cut it anywhere?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Range Rover

Your chain is stretched. You need a new one. It will come with a master link. You don't necessarily need a chain breaker if you have a grinder you could grind a pin out of a link and the chain will come apart.

It you run that worn chain and it breaks it seems it's at least a 50/50 chance that it will punch a hole in your case right by where the shifter is.

Also somebody correct me if I am wrong but if you got it off of the sprocket couldn't you just remove it in one piece over the wheel?

Buy new chain and new sprockets. They have package deals.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

meet a guy at pismo with a LT250R with a worn out stretched chain when it gave out he had a big gapping hole in his side case with gear oil coming out. rocky mountain atv has decent deals plus fast shipping

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Originally Posted by spize909
Your chain is stretched. You need a new one. It will come with a master link. You don't necessarily need a chain breaker if you have a grinder you could grind a pin out of a link and the chain will come apart.

It you run that worn chain and it breaks it seems it's at least a 50/50 chance that it will punch a hole in your case right by where the shifter is.

Also somebody correct me if I am wrong but if you got it off of the sprocket couldn't you just remove it in one piece over the wheel?

Buy new chain and new sprockets. They have package deals.
Spize:: factory chains usually do not have a master link. The chain will not come off like your thinking. You can remove the swingarm to get it off tho.
New chain and sprockets eh...great minds think alike..

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by LT80
Spize:: factory chains usually do not have a master link. The chain will not come off like your thinking. You can remove the swingarm to get it off tho.
New chain and sprockets eh...great minds think alike..
I didn't even see your post.....just saw where the op was talking about half links and what not.......

I'm picturing my quad in my head...........and if you got the chain off of both sprockets couldn't you just pull the chain off over the tire/wheel...oh, heel guard might have to come off too. Now I'm going to have to look at it when I get home and probably prove to myself that I'm an idiot.

As for the chain, I never said the stock chain had a master link, just that you could grind out a pin and take it off that way without a breaker.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

"As for the chain, I never said the stock chain had a master link, just that you could grind out a pin and take it off that way without a breaker."

Your right, I mis-read it.
I have a new chain breaker in the drawer. Bought it prolly 12 years ago. I see it every now and then. LOL
Like you, I use a grinder.
Seeins we're on the subject, might as well explain how to squeeze the new link together eh..
To install, you need:: vise grips and a 6mm nut.
Put the nut over the pin side and squeeze w/vise grips. Go back and forth on the pins tightening the vise grips as you press it together.
BTW DVXDude:: all chains are not the same. example: a DID master link may not fit a Regina chain and so on for the different brands. You'll need to know the brand of chain you have now to get master links and the 1/2 link that I feel you won't find.

Quick Reply: z400 drive chain change?