Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 230GE shaft drive stiffy rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 230GE shaft drive stiffy rear

Im not sure if any one has been wanting to restore one of these but im giving it a shot . i have rewired the entire harness most of the grounds were shot due to age . the quad runs if i use the pull starter . the electric start does not work . if i jump the yellow with a green stripe to the yellow with a black stripe and hit the start button it starts fine. another sypmtom i have noticed is that the neutral light does not illum when the bike is off or the reverse lamp . any body got any ideas

Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hi, I just got one of these, well mine is an 86 LTF230, I dont know what the difference is between yours and mine, but mine has no rear suspension and is shaft drive too, has a hi/lo range gearbox too. I paid 300 for mine, I cleaned the carb and it runs, leaks some oil, but seems to run ok, not driven it yet, other than in my back yard in the city. I have to figure out the wiring on mine, as neither the key or kill switch will turn the motor off, I have to pull the plug wire off to turn the motor off, I am thinking a ground problem since all those switches do is ground a wire to kill the coil. I need to get some of the frame welded up because there are like 5 cracked welds on the front of the frame, and a broken lower a arm.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer

mine also had some cracks and some bends in the rear area that needed welding/straighten. My wiring harness was messed up bad . the bike should have been a part out but i enjoy restoring them.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, would you be able to take a picture of the rear frame where the seat clips? Mine is all missing and has a bungee cord holding the seat down, need to weld on a bracket, but I dont know what it looks like.

I just got my clymer manual for mine. Does yours have low range? Or just a straight shaft from the motor to the axle? Mine has that low range subtransmission between the enging and axle. We got it running good on the weekend, and it is quite the peppy little thing, you can easily bring the front wheels off the ground lol.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

Mine does not have low range and all of the seat hardware is mising on mine also i wish i knew how to secure it , as always i will make something.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I found this site, Cheap Cycle Parts, they have exploded diagrams of everything with Suzuki part numbers, their prices seem reasonable. They list a seperate bolt on part for the rear seat latch, it bolts on to where the rear fenders mount under the seat, it is like $18.00, beats trying to fab up something to weld on under there.